750 twin won't start when cold

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jul 2008 15:38 #225953 by Wildh2oskier
750 twin won't start when cold was created by Wildh2oskier
OK I'm down to my last (latest) problem with the bike.
I've done the wired George rewire and cleaned, synched got the carbs squared away. New vacuum hoses etc.
It just does not want to start when it is cold. After trying today I pulled the plugs and they were bone dry with fuel smell on them at all. I took 2 plastic bags and shoved into the intake throats on the carbs. I spun the motor over 4 or 5 times and pulled them out. Then I touched the starter and it fired up like a brand new one.
I understand the carbs are not equipped with a choke rather an enrichner so how do I adjust the carbs to get enough fuel to get it to fire when its been sitting for a while?
When it has been warmed up it fires right up.
So what do I need to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2008 15:46 - 13 Jul 2008 15:52 #225955 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 750 twin won't start when cold
Wildh2oskier wrote:

I've done the wired George rewire and cleaned, synched got the carbs squared away. New vacuum hoses etc.
It just does not want to start when it is cold. After trying today I pulled the plugs and they were bone dry with fuel smell on them at all. I took 2 plastic bags and shoved into the intake throats on the carbs. I spun the motor over 4 or 5 times and pulled them out. Then I touched the starter and it fired up like a brand new one.
I understand the carbs are not equipped with a choke rather an enrichner so how do I adjust the carbs to get enough fuel to get it to fire when its been sitting for a while?
So what do I need to do?

If not already done, try the initial cold start-up with choke fully on, and without touching the throttle at all.

The enrichner circuits are designed to operate with no throttle whatsoever.

Let us know if that fails to resolve the cold starting issue, so we may then consider the enrichener circuit itself.

Meanwhile, are these the stock oem carbs?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Jul 2008 15:52 by Patton.

More
13 Jul 2008 17:17 - 13 Jul 2008 17:20 #225970 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 750 twin won't start when cold
Wildh2oskier wrote:

So what do I need to do?

Fix the "choke" (richening circuit) so it works as designed. I have a 750 twin and it starts dead cold on one spin. If that choke isn't working, you are going to burn your starter out cranking it.

I can't tell what carbs or pipes you have from the picture, but I did go from the ridiculously lean 40 pilot jet to a 50 on mine. That does make it run better cold and allow you to turn the choke off sooner, but it won't start a cold engine without the choke's help.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Jul 2008 17:20 by bountyhunter.

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jul 2008 17:28 #225973 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic 750 twin won't start when cold
Its the stock carbs, air filter and the pipes are off of a 2000 HD Dyna. Here is a link to a better version of that pic.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=2726

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jul 2008 17:31 #225975 by Wildh2oskier
Using the enrichener the way you say has no effect what so ever. So I'm willing to bet that is where we need to start.

More
13 Jul 2008 17:52 - 13 Jul 2008 17:53 #225979 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 750 twin won't start when cold
I agree with starting at the enrichment circuit in the carbs.

Really, I just had to post something on topic so I could tell you how good the wheels looked :D

Bead blasted and clear coated?

I'll go sit in the corner now :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 13 Jul 2008 17:53 by steell.

More
13 Jul 2008 23:38 #226022 by bountyhunter
Wildh2oskier wrote:

Its the stock carbs, air filter and the pipes are off of a 2000 HD Dyna.

Most harley pipes are about one click away from a straight pipe. It could be making your engine run lean, but it should still start without all the cranking if the choke works.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Wildh2oskier
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jul 2008 20:15 #226188 by Wildh2oskier
Does anyone have a diagram and/or a tutorial on this enrichener circuit?

More
14 Jul 2008 21:53 #226200 by bountyhunter
Wildh2oskier wrote:

Does anyone have a diagram and/or a tutorial on this enrichener circuit?

It's in the FSM, I don't have any way to post it. It's a starter jet, starter pipe, starter plunger, starter air passage, plunger chamber, and mixture passage.

The plunger is lifted by the lever on the LHS of each carb. Raising it pulls the needle out of the jet seat and allows fuel to go past it.

From the FSM: "Clogged starter pipe air bleed holes will cause insufficient atomization, thus impairing the starter system."

1979 KZ-750 Twin