Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2

More
11 Jul 2008 13:47 - 11 Jul 2008 13:51 #225597 by bigc
Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2 was created by bigc
Couple of questions. In the pic I have put on a breather filter (#1) in hopes to stop the oil from coming out of the nipple. Using 10w40 oil. Works fine until I get it warmed up and really going and oil still spurts out of the filter. I have plugged the main suction hose that used to go to the air filter box that connects all the hoses #2 and #3 under the fuel tank. Why is the breather spitting tons of oil? Also when I first worked on the carbs the mains were 110 and the pilots said 37.5 on them. It has 4-2 exhaust and Im going to put pods on once it is running. I can get it running cold with some starter fluid help and will start up fine afterwards when warm. The plugs are a little white but nothing crazy. Some one said they think my carbs are CV, marked Mikuni. I cant find much info on his bike. What size main and pilots should I start at? And will that help my bike start on its own? Currently I put in 117.5 main and 42.5 pilots and switched back to the 110 main's. Any ideas how to get this bike to start on its own?
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jul 2008 13:51 by bigc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2008 18:42 #225634 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2
You have BS32 Mikunis. Put in some #40 pilot jets and #140 mains for use with pods. As far as the oil coming out the breather, this is called "blow-by" and is oil getting by your piston rings. I would consider looking for a GOOD used block and set of pistons and rering after verifying that the pistons and cylinder bores are in spec. Your cylinder bores are likely either worn or the pistons are worn or both or the cylinder bores are out of round.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
11 Jul 2008 19:35 #225643 by 82_gpz_550
Replied by 82_gpz_550 on topic Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2
maybe I'm confused by this post.
but the breather in the pic looks like it's coming up from the back around the tranny/starter area. So how is blow-by getting oil way back there, unless it's like a car and the valve cover is attached to the breather by hose, or maybe I'm missing something completely

82 KZ550 H1 (GPz) \'Lil Red
it\'s an old beater, but when she wants to
she sure runs great!

More
11 Jul 2008 20:01 #225649 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2
82_gpz_550 wrote:

maybe I'm confused by this post.
but the breather in the pic looks like it's coming up from the back around the tranny/starter area. So how is blow-by getting oil way back there, unless it's like a car and the valve cover is attached to the breather by hose, or maybe I'm missing something completely

Never had a kz motor apart have you? :)

The engine oil is also the trans lube, it's a shared crankcase, that vent is for the entire case, motor and trans, it's all one.

KD9JUR

More
12 Jul 2008 08:05 #225694 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2
I was tired when I wrote that post to the bigc poster. I should have added that he should FIRST get a compression gauge. First check compression in each cylinder after removing the spark plugs by holding the throttle open and turning the engine over with the starter button. Let the engine crank a bit for each cylinder and record the value. The test to see if the rings are sealing is to then put 1 TEASPOON of oil down plug hole #1. Perform the compression test again. If the compression reading jumps up significantly, then there is a ring seal problem. Do the same for each of the other cylinder and only put the oil in the plug hole just before doing the test otherwise it will blow all over the tester. The results can then be interpreted to show whether the ring seal is the likely source of your problem. You may also have only ONE broken ring or even a broken piston. If a piston lan is cracked, this will also cause mucho blow-by.

To fix the problem, you first must know what the problem is. To determine where to go in a problem like this once you know it is ring related, you have to pull the pistons out of the block. If the pistons appear to be all OK and in one piece you then measure the piston's diameter and the diameter of the bore. The difference is the piston to bore clearance and there is a MAXIMUM spec. If your piston-to-bore clearance exceeds the maximum, you will need to either buy oversized pistons OR buy a used block with matching pistons that are within spec. If the piston-to-bore spec is within tolerance, you can then buy some new rings and hone the cylinder walls and will be back on the road without the blow-by.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
12 Jul 2008 17:21 #225764 by 82_gpz_550
that I did know, I was confused cause wired made it sound like it was blow by causing the oil out the breather.
I don't see haw oil going past the piston rings was causing oil out the breather
I would assume if oil is coming out the breather,
there is WAY too much oil in the engine

she sure runs great!

More
12 Jul 2008 22:04 - 12 Jul 2008 22:05 #225804 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2
82_gpz_550 wrote:

that I did know, I was confused cause wired made it sound like it was blow by causing the oil out the breather.
I don't see haw oil going past the piston rings was causing oil out the breather
I would assume if oil is coming out the breather,
there is WAY too much oil in the engine

AFAIK, blow-by has always referred to compression getting past the rings into the crankcase, and when the blow-by is significant it will indeed blow oil out the vent. Oil getting past the rings has just been referred to as oil consumption in my experience.

When the crank is spinning it's throwing oil from the rod journals 360 degrees, and with significant blow-by the air stream will carry oil right out the vent with it.

Granted, I have only seen that when one or two cylinders are bad, if all cylinders are that bad I doubt the motor would even run.

You are probably right about the motor having way to much oil in it to begin with.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 12 Jul 2008 22:05 by steell.

More
12 Jul 2008 22:20 - 12 Jul 2008 22:21 #225809 by 82_gpz_550
thank you so much, now that I look at it like that,
it makes perfect sense now,

after so many days of work, I can't think too well

she sure runs great!
Last edit: 12 Jul 2008 22:21 by 82_gpz_550.

More
13 Jul 2008 02:49 #225821 by kawaidioot
Replied by kawaidioot on topic Help with a 82' KZ650 CSR H2
How much oil did you put in.
It is not normal, that oil would come through the breather.
But if the breather wouldn't work as good as this,....the pressure would come out of another gasket...

Zevenhuizen, Holland, Europe.
a good 15 ft below sea-level....