Identifying carbs

More
08 Jul 2008 14:17 #224947 by heath
Identifying carbs was created by heath
I have a 1976 KZ900 LTD (bought recently) that needs some carb work. I'm considering one of those places that mail you rebuilt carbs, and you send them your old ones (any recommendations would be gladly accepted - I'm in the Los Angeles area, if that makes a difference).

Problem is... how do I tell what size carbs I have? I *think* they are are stock, but I'm not certain. And if so, they have the standard pod filters on them, so I suppose I'll need to identify how they are jetted, so the rebuilt ones are jetted properly?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm clueless right now.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2008 14:45 #224952 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic Identifying carbs

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
08 Jul 2008 19:45 #225013 by heath
Replied by heath on topic Identifying carbs
Thanks for the advice.

Hmmm... I wrote Wired George and he said that it's basically eight weeks. Not sure if I can live that long with a bike that isn't running well!

So what are my options?

Luckily for me, right now I have more money than free time (it's been a great year for my business), and I want to spend that free time riding my KZ.

So... costs be damned, what's the fastest way to rebuild or replace the carbs entirely?

More
08 Jul 2008 22:43 #225073 by cmmman
Replied by cmmman on topic Identifying carbs
I just checked out your website briefly and i am very impressed by your metal working. Where i work we do laser machining but all we do is boring aircraft stuff.

With your skills you should clean the carbs yourself, get a good manual and its really pretty easy to take them apart. If the bike was running good before you may want to make sure your ignition system is working correctly first. Im sure someone else will chime in about doing a full tune up per the factory manual.

If the carbs are the problem you can buy brand new ones, probably not the same as you have now.

Being a man of you monitary influence, Probably you quickest option to deal with the carb problem and get riding again would be to get on you bike, ride it to the local dealer and buy a new fuel injected bike. :lol:

1977 KZ650B, modified.

More
09 Jul 2008 09:49 #225155 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Identifying carbs
Heath, give Z1Enterprises a call and let them help you out.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
10 Jul 2008 17:43 - 10 Jul 2008 17:44 #225412 by heath
Replied by heath on topic Identifying carbs
Thanks guys... yeah a new fuel injected bike would probably be cheaper in the end, for all the time and effort I'm putting into this bike, but I've had a Ninja before and it just ain't the same as the classic KZ's. It's not about money... it's about love. :)

I did the clear plastic tube test I read about here and found that the #2 carb was leaking, it just kept on rising and rising.

So I tore it apart, looked at what did what, and cleaned the float valve (or whatever it's called).

That fixed the problem right up! Woohoo!

Now, my plugs are still a touch sooty, so I think I need to change out the jets. So, my next question is where to buy those? And what kind do I need?

If I pull out the jets, I assume there's a number on them. Now, if it's running rich, do I go to a higher or lower number jet? Should I go ahead and order a range of sizes?

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2008 17:44 by heath.