choke

More
04 Jul 2008 07:35 #223919 by hands2004
choke was created by hands2004
hi there everyone im a new guy in the house, im in md just got this bike maybe a month ago its a kz 550 ltd 1983 and it sat for a while before i got it. I charged the battery and attemoted to start the beast however it cranked and no start. So the previous owner said i had to stick a rag in the intake under the seat i think this is because he doesnt know where the choke is. So i did the rage thing and eventually got it to start runs rich and bogs down when snapping the throttle. Iread some of the previous post and im gonna do the draining the tank putting in fresh fuel, but the question is where is the choke? im am not too familiar with older bikes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2008 08:39 #223944 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic choke
Not too sure on the 550,but it should be down on the left-hand side of the carbs.
Either a pull-choke with a round,black button,or it could be a lever.
Possibly on the handlebars,on the left side??

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
04 Jul 2008 09:17 - 04 Jul 2008 09:18 #223965 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic choke
Even if you get it running with the choke you know what's gonna be required don't you? Yup..... the remove the carbs and a complete cleaning procedure! (depends how long bike has been sitting) You MAY get lucky with running fresh gas through it but time will tell. Let us know... :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Last edit: 04 Jul 2008 09:18 by Bluemeanie.

More
05 Jul 2008 06:47 #224194 by hands2004
Replied by hands2004 on topic choke
ok i found it its a lever on the left side of the carbs thankyou guys. So it starts up better when i set it up to prime and adjust the choke still kinda difficult but not as bad before also runs alot better lol now that i found the choke. So the next question is what should i do next? Can i check the carbs before removing some kinda way to check for varnish or dirt? thanks so far for the help

More
05 Jul 2008 07:33 #224198 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic choke
Welcome to the KZR Nation. :cheer:

Time to get a manual... quick. Their under $30 USD.

Try draining the float bowls... you might get lucky and the junk will be expelled. Get and install an inline gas filter ASAP. Your local auto parts has them or try Z1 Enterprises in upper NY... they have the manuals too... good friends of this forum.

Best of success! :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
05 Jul 2008 07:48 #224204 by hands2004
how do you drain the float bowls?

More
05 Jul 2008 08:06 #224210 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic choke
Big brass bolt on the bottom of each carb.

Remember... Petcock to OFF position and don't do it in the living room. :pinch:

Use a plastic cup to catch the escaping gas and check for junk in the bottom... it will tell you if it was worth it. ;)

Could you add your year, model and location to your signature to get the best replies. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
05 Jul 2008 08:49 #224222 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic choke
HANDS2004- I have an 82 KZ550 standard with the tk carbs, do you have the tk or the keihin/mikuni type? I think the big brass plugs are for them not for the tk..
If you have the TK carbs, look at your overflows coming from the bottom of each carb. There should be a philips screw right above them on each carb. Thats your drains, crack each one open see how or if they flow any gas.
If they all flow at least some gas it should start, but cant guarantee it, or guarantee it will run good after that. Most of the time you'll have to take the carbs off.
Also, collect that gas from the overflows in a clear glass cup, and if its brown then you should take off and clean the tank too. Petcock should be cleaned anyway.

More
06 Jul 2008 08:00 #224402 by hands2004
alrighty people i have the tk carbs, also found the phillips screws that you were talking about , i cracked them open and clear fuel came out. Now the previous owner said when he got the bike he did do the draining the bowls and fresh fuel but problem persisted, i have yet to completely drain all and top off with fresh fuel. now a good friend of mine and myself were just checking various things yest now i can say that none of the plus are wet or fouled, when running i touched all cylinders via exhaust they all were hot so im leaning on betting that its not a ignition issue. I also find that using the choke as well as a rag its hard to start but better than the choke alone. Also the petcock i thought i noticed a change when switching back and fourth but dont notice anything. also ill refresh its a 1983 kawasaki 550 ltd with tk carbs. thanks again