Engine races to 4000-5000rpm while riding

More
01 Jul 2008 06:04 #223268 by 1KCRUNNER
I own a 1983 kz1100d3 Spectre, stock exhaust, Uni filter,
stock jets, needles raised 1 clip/notch, new float needles and seats, adjusted floats. When cold the engine responds normally. When it warms up the engine will rev itself to 4000-5000 rpm. I have the throttle closed!!! I can turn off the fuel and it will respond to the throttle until it runs low on gas. Bike had been running fine, then one day it just started doing this. I also checked the enrichment circuit to see that it was shutting off properly. Bike used to start immediately with the enrichment full on. Now it is difficult to start, tough to find the spot where the enrichment circuit will start the engine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2008 06:39 #223271 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine races to 4000-5000rpm while riding
Welcome to the site 1KCRUNNER. I am curious; how did you quote: I also checked the enrichment circuit to see that it was shutting off properly.

The problem you are having sounds like the choke plungers are not seated and are allowing air past from time to time. The hard starting problem is either a dirty enrichener circuit or dirty pilot circuit or both. Do you have the stock airbox on the bike?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.