Would this be the problem

More
28 Jun 2008 16:59 #222716 by stallau
Would this be the problem was created by stallau
I had/have a problem with very high speed idle which is also having everything heat up very fast. The consensus here was an air leak. I took the carbs off again and here's what I found but I'm not sure if this is causing the problem. The rubber boots from carbs 1 & 2 are nice and soft and pliable. The boot on 3 is very stiff on one side the the other side is getting that way, the boot from carb 4 is hard pretty much overall. I figured since the carbs were out I replaced all the vacuum hoses since I didn't know how old they were and some were splitting at the tips.

Questions
1) I'm assuming they should be flexible and so could this be causing my issue? also what would casue these to harden??
2) The boots on 1 & 4 had the spring clamps but 2 & 3 didn't. Are they important or should they be OK without them?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2008 17:07 #222719 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Would this be the problem
Would double-check ignition timing. Use F marks -- not T marks. Assure advancer is operating properly. Use strobe-type timing light.

Air leak problem is typical issue with carb holders (between carb and engine) and not with hoses from airbox to carbs.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Jun 2008 19:07 #222736 by kztinkerman
Replied by kztinkerman on topic Would this be the problem
replace the plugs to, the major reason is timing like Patton said