Many new parts, can't get them working together

More
28 Jun 2008 06:00 #222649 by 80KAW650
Since April on my 80 KZ650 F1 I have replaced the valve cover gasket, cleaned the gas tank twice, cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, new carb holders and boots, installed new Dyna-coil packs and wires, new condenser and points and now I'm strugling to get it running right. I'm no mechanic and I fear I'm getting close to burn out. I test drove it yesterday and in fourth gear couldn't hit 60mph. Seems like the more gas I gave it the weaker it was.
Could my points be set wrong? Am I getting too much air or not enough? PLEASE HELP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2008 07:02 #222658 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Many new parts, can't get them working together
Could be lean jetting, could be timing related from setting the points wrong. When you rebuilt the carbs did you replace the jets? If so did you change the jet sizes from what you took out? What did you gap your points to when you put in the new points and condensor? Check the wiring on the condensor, when I was putting my new one on a couple weeks ago I accidentally grounded the green wire that comes from the condensor to the ignition plate, caused my #2 and 3 coils to not fire. A few things to consider.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
28 Jun 2008 12:18 #222691 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Many new parts, can't get them working together
Note that you didn't mention checking valve clearances, tensioning cam chain, setting ignition timing, gapping the points, etc. I think I would consider finding a shop manual and doing the tune up steps in the order suggested. The alternative would be to fire your mechanic! hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Jun 2008 18:59 #222735 by kztinkerman
Replied by kztinkerman on topic Many new parts, can't get them working together
The nice but bad thing about the inline 4 is they can run real smooth on two cylinders, they will idle and start just fine sitting on the center stand, when you take them on the road your lucky if you can make 60 mph. Agreeing with wiredgeorge get a manual or download one. The point should be open between 12 and 14 at the widest point to start. The points should just start to open when your rotate the engine clockwise with a 17mm wrench at the F mark. This will get you in the ballpark untill you get a timing light.