problem returning to idle

More
27 Jun 2008 14:42 #222557 by robowensby
problem returning to idle was created by robowensby
Hopefully this is a simple fix, I just installed a set of Mikuni RS36's on my 1135 big bore, runs like a screaming demon, however when you blip the throttle, or anytime it is returning to an idle the rpm's come down real slow. I have checked for vacuum leaks around the carb holders, and made sure the cables are free and I checked to make sure the carbs were snapping back to the idle position. What could be going on or is this normal for the smooth bores? I am running pod filters and a 4 into 1 Vance and hines.

Thanks

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
29 Jun 2008 17:34 #222909 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic problem returning to idle
Have you read the plugs yet? I believe that one symptom of lean mixture can be a bit of runon after closing the throttle.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
01 Jul 2008 14:48 #223350 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic problem returning to idle
Hmm I'm waiting with baited breath .. cause I have a similar problem, and all I did was change the carb holders. The throttle just hangs there and VERY slowly falls back to idle. An I too checked for leaks and bound cable and linkage. I also am running pods and a VH 4/1

More
01 Jul 2008 20:36 #223413 by Leather
Dang where Wire George when ya need him...lol

More
02 Jul 2008 05:41 #223463 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic problem returning to idle
wiredgeorge is either sleeping or taking care of his paying customers most of the time. I only look at this board once or twice a day for a short time... in the evenings when I want excitement, I work jig saw puzzles.
hehehe

I didn't respond to this thread because I have little RS series carb experience. I would look carefully at the throttle spring. The VM33 has the wimpiest spring in all creation and will sometimes not have enough tension to return the slides positively. They give you a number of holes to change spring tension and if you reclip the spring to an alternate hole, you can generally get more tension and the slides will shut. I didn't really want to mention this as I have NO idea if this issue translates to the RS carbs. I don't think answers are helpful if the info is correct but for the wrong application. Only confuses things.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 Jul 2008 06:42 #223703 by Leather
Well dang it. I should have said that I'm still running the stock carbs on my 80 750e the cv 'kunies 34's I think. guess I will have to pull the rack and double check the backs of the rubbers and be sure their sealed. Would putting some RTV under them help?

More
03 Jul 2008 06:55 #223705 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic problem returning to idle
I need answers to this one too, 'cept I'm running CV Keihin 30s on my ZR550 (just a grown up KZ550 when you get down to it!)

I need to check fuel mixture and float levels when I get home, however the plugs looked great when I pulled them before starting my base gasket swap, so I don't think it's a float problem.

I'm going to drain the bowls and see if there's any crap in there though, because something could have gotten caught in the float needle and kept it open.

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
22 Jul 2008 04:46 - 22 Jul 2008 04:52 #227588 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic problem returning to idle
Flat slides tend to stick and that´s why they must have 2 cables: one to pull slides up and another to pull them back down.´When you "blib" the throttle do you turn it back down or just expect slides to drop automatically? They won´t drop very fast.

Adjusting the two cables can be a bit tricky. There should be only a very little slack between the cables otherwise slides won´t come all the way down. On the other hand if the pull-down -cable is too tight it will again stop slides from going all the way down. Maybe you should check cable adjustments? I set up mine to have just a little slack and making absolutely shure that you can drop slides all the way down by turning throttle all the way in.

Two other possible reasons are air leak or way too lean idle mixture.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...
Last edit: 22 Jul 2008 04:52 by Z1109R Fin.