GPz750 Carb rebuild setback

More
21 Jun 2008 23:11 #221448 by LukeJ
GPz750 Carb rebuild setback was created by LukeJ
Hey guys, the saga of the 82 GPz750 mikuni carbs continues...

I bought some carb rebuild kits from Z1 industries and the first carb that I rebuilt went smoothly. Everything was dirty, fuel filter clogged - all new shiny parts went in.
As this is my first rebuild, I felt like the smartest man alive.

Second carb seems to have a seized or cross-threaded screw that holds the float and fuel filter on. After a lot of WD40 and Inox, the screw still didn't come loose and now the head is well and truly stripped.

Ditto for carb 4. I dont know what the last owner did to it - must have glued them in!

Carb three however has an even worse problem. The pilot jet has no head on it at all! :blink: There is a little bit of thread and the rest is in there but there is no way to get it out!

That is my question boys and girls - whats the best way to remove stripped screws? AND what the heck am I going to do with the pilot jet????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
22 Jun 2008 13:46 #221529 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic GPz750 Carb rebuild setback
Vise Grips for the float bowl screws, an EZ Out for the pilot jet.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
22 Jun 2008 18:59 - 22 Jun 2008 19:02 #221576 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic GPz750 Carb rebuild setback
He won't get vise grips on the M4 round head screw that holes on the little plate device that keeps the float seat held fast. The head is round and there isn't enough room between the main jet well tube and the float posts... You have to cut a slot with a small cut off wheel in a Dremel tool and use a flat bladed bit in a hand impact wrench to remove this screw as it is rusted. The alternative is to take a small chisel and pop off the screw head and then drill/tap using an M4 .7 pitch tap.

The EZ-out on the pilot jet is kind of iffy... the well is narrow in diameter so you have to use about the smallest EZ-out and if the tip breaks off, the carb is ruined. Go to the hardware and buy one of those square style (EZ-out is round) screw removers... the smallest they sell and carefully drill a pilot hole in the pilot jet of the size that is recommended on the size of the extraction tool. You might have to buy a bit as they come in somewhat odd SAE sizes.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 22 Jun 2008 19:02 by wiredgeorge.