Best Type Of Gas To Use

More
20 Jun 2008 18:45 #221229 by Thistle
Best Type Of Gas To Use was created by Thistle
Can anyone tell me what the best type of gas is to use with my 1980 kz 550c and 1981 kz 650h

i am running both bike on the top gas but was wondering if this is necessary to do so or if i could drop them down to regular?

thanks
Dave

KZ550C1 1980
KZ650H1 1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2008 19:24 #221238 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
Regular gas is what these motors were designed for, unless you've done some major modifications (big bore kit, etc) I used to run premium but found it to be a total waste of money. I used to advance my initial timing ala hot rod style (needed premium then) but have since gone back to stock specs and regular fuel. Bike actually runs better too.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
20 Jun 2008 21:54 #221273 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
Use 87 and see how it runs. If it doesn't ping, use it. If it doesn't run right, try 89.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Jul 2008 19:58 #225016 by Thistle
Replied by Thistle on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
So here's an update to this question.

Switched to regular 89 gas and the bike runs great! Much better than with the 91 or 93. In fact I was experiencing some mild hesitation on the low range and it felt like "pulsing" at an even speed with about 4k on the revs. I was thinking that maybe some little blockage in the recently cleaned carbs was causing this. Changed the gas and wow...... the 'pulsing went away and also the low revs pick up much improved.

Thanks for the tips!
Dave. :)

KZ550C1 1980
KZ650H1 1981

More
09 Jul 2008 03:37 #225090 by slowman
Replied by slowman on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
If the station I'm at is not selling 10% ethanol I get 87.
If the station is selling 10% ethanol I get 89.

Avoid ethanol if you can help it... it'll dry out all the rubber parts of your fuel system.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

More
09 Jul 2008 09:08 #225146 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
My KZ110A2 runs better on mid grade in the summer and regular in the winter. My KZ1100D runs better on hitest in the summer and regular in the winter. I just did a ring job on the A2 so that might change as the rings seat. I only have a couple hundred miles on it. It does run better each day. Depends on the bike, I guess.....chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
09 Jul 2008 13:05 #225191 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
slowman wrote:

If the station I'm at is not selling 10% ethanol I get 87.
If the station is selling 10% ethanol I get 89.

Avoid ethanol if you can help it... it'll dry out all the rubber parts of your fuel system.

Unfortunately, you can no longer avoid ethanol. It used to be only the "cheap" gas brands had ethanol, but our beloved President said that in order to save oil(?), we must all use ethanol! In MI, they used to have a placard on the pump stating it contained ethanol - no longer! There is a simple test to figure it out if you are interested.

I doubt if any of our bikes will be affected by it, they are new enough that the effects of ethanol in fuel were known, and avoided. But if you have any gasoline powered equipment from the '60s or early '70s, be careful. Fuel lines and carb seals are the most likely problems!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
09 Jul 2008 13:14 #225196 by Saki Jockey
Replied by Saki Jockey on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
I used to run Sunoco 94 religiously, then ended up with a tank of 87 octane a few summers ago during a major blackout. I haven't used anything but 87 since.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada

More
09 Jul 2008 13:39 #225208 by slowman
Replied by slowman on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
Unfortunately most non-ethanol stations in Madison, WI are gone. We are luckier than most of you who have no choice but ethanol or no gas.

For reference, if anyone is in the Madison area... the ONLY non-ethanol station in Madison, WI is now Bennett's Sinclair on the corner of old Highway 12 North and Century Ave. way up in Middleton. There was a Shell that just switched over the other day. Bennett's is the ONLY place I go for gasoline.

My car doesn't like ethanol either. I have an old '84 BMW 3 series and the Motronic 1.0 computer just doesn't know what to make of the 10% corn! :D

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

The only thing better than the sound of a carburettor opening is the sound of 4 carburettors opening simultaneously!

More
09 Jul 2008 13:39 #225209 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
ethanol is a waste of corn that could be used to make good whiskey!if you must use ethanol try putting about 1/4to1/2 cup of marvel mystery oil in the tank(Full Tank) it will help keep the gaskets and o rings in the carbs from drying out.

More
09 Jul 2008 22:24 #225280 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
I do something similar with my fill ups. I use 85 and every once in a while I add gumout injector/carb/ valve cleaner. That stuff has a 3 in one oily residue which is like a lotion to the rings.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
10 Jul 2008 06:02 #225316 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Best Type Of Gas To Use
For those that don't know, remember this:

Octane is a detonation (and ignition, for that matter) INHIBITOR.

The higher the octane, the LESS likely the fuel is to completely burn, or detonate.

High octane fuel is only required in engines with HIGH(er) compression to avoid detonation.

Some people who have normal engines use the next octane up (89-ish?) when in extreme conditions that might increase the likelihood of detonation (pinging); like extreme heat, etc.

All of our engines, unless modified for performance, should be running on regular ol' regular.

The use of high(er) octane fuels in our regular engines will only cause hesitation and carbon build-up from unburned fuel.

...Okay, I re-checked the above for accuracy, but if anybody catches an error there, let me know....
B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com