Air pod box

More
19 Jun 2008 18:24 #221005 by A2rider
Air pod box was created by A2rider
Has anyone ever made, or seen a box that goes over air pods? I'm trying to make something to block the wind and rain. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2008 18:56 #221010 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Air pod box
Why would you want to do that? It would be far easier to keep your factory airbox with a single filter. Folks have made all sorts of restrictors and covers to alter airflow and keep out side winds... not sure if it would be worth the effort to do that either.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Jun 2008 19:25 #221017 by A2rider
Replied by A2rider on topic Air pod box
George, my bike came with the pods and a 4 into 1 kerker when I got it. Someday if I have the money, I'd like to go back to the stock configuration, but right now it's not happening. We bought the metal to do this with, and I was just wondering if anyone else had done it.

You are the known expert on this, it's what you do for a living.

I'm on the kawasaki.org forum, you might remember me from the struggles I've had with this bike. We just got done sticking a 750 in a 650 frame, and jetting the carbs to go with it.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
19 Jun 2008 20:37 #221029 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Air pod box
The only thing I have ever seen was on a GPZ. They molded pieces of fiberglass to cover that whole section. It looked like the fairing covered everything, kinda like the newer crotch rockets.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
20 Jun 2008 11:45 - 04 Dec 2008 07:02 #221146 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Dec 2008 07:02 by JMKZHI.

More
20 Jun 2008 16:06 #221201 by wiredgeorge
I don't visit the kawasaki.org forum at all anymore. I can't recall your issues. I think the OEM manufacturers use as large an airbox as possible for a reason. To provide the largest amount of still air to the carburetors. The idea of a pod airbox seems to give you the best of both worlds; the added airflow of pods and helps you avoid crosswinds and rain. This seems reasonable except that any box over the pods will restrict their air flow and provide a very uneven airflow. If you problem is that the bike has performance problems with pods, it might be better to describe the problem. The airbox JMK pictured is nice looking and really professional but I doubt it will work very well... how about some comments on its performance, JMK? I would be interested to know. I haven't done it and am going by my feel for this stuff so I could well be wrong. I would think the pods, properly rejettted and hanging out in the wind would work better but I haven't tested one of these boxes.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Jun 2008 17:41 #221221 by A2rider
JMKZHI wrote:

Podbox. JMK.

That's it! Thank you so much!

Along with George's questions, I would like to know how you attached it.

I think I'm going to make it just like that, only open the whole front instead of just a small opening.

Again, thank you!

More
20 Jun 2008 17:45 #221222 by A2rider
I know they designed the air box for a reason. These bikes were not thrown together, they were designed by mechanical engineers to do the best possible job of making an engine perform efficiently.

Thank you for your comments, George, you are truly the best in the business.

More
21 Jun 2008 05:40 #221298 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Air pod box

This design seems to do the trick!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
21 Jun 2008 05:52 #221301 by wiredgeorge
If you open only one small part of the box, the carburetors will draw in air but the air to the center carbs will come in at a greater rate and the out a lesser. If that box JMK pictured had the entire rear opened up and mesh covered with a single air filter element, I suspect it would flow more evenly. Also, much of the carb tuning is done based on the length of the intake runners. These effect air speed as well. Pro racers will fuss around with the length of velocity stacks for reason, trying to modify the powerband to suit them. With no intake runners, I am not sure what the effect would be. This is getting to be an engineering-type exercise and is over my head but if we did have a person on the board who understood these dynamics, it would be an interesting time to pop in and shed some light on what would be ideal. I just go based on past experience and some guesses as far as design goes.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
24 Jun 2008 09:00 #221851 by billz
Replied by billz on topic Air pod box
Another reason the manufacturers use an air box is to cut down on sound. Even back in the 70s manufacturers were faced with reducing sound. Listen to two identical bikes one with a stock air box and the other with pods. You'll hear a loud sucking sound with the pods when you get on the throttle.

Bill