carb richening 1983 kz 750 ltd Keihin carbs

More
19 Jun 2008 11:15 #220919 by jon0108
when you turn the pilot screws in,(clockwise), is that richening or leaning the mixture?
I synched the carbs and adjusted the pilot screws 3 turns out,(counterclockwise), from seated. I'm assuming that is too lean.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2008 11:53 #220923 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb richening 1983 kz 750 ltd Keihin carbs
The pilot mix screws have both air and fuel coming into where the needle part controls the mixture so OUT would provide more fuel/air and effectively richen things. Since you are talking about the air/fuel mixture, keep in mind this adjustment primarily affects the idle mixture but has a small effect on the mid-range. If you are having a problem, it might be wiser to state the problem as that will get to the heart of the matter a tad quicker. The mixture screws on a stocker with stock airbox/pipes should be about 2 turns out and no more for the Keihins. Have you perhaps modified the airbox or added pod filters? You wouldn't happen to know what jetting is in the bike now, would you?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Jun 2008 12:02 - 19 Jun 2008 12:03 #220926 by jon0108
Replied by jon0108 on topic carb richening 1983 kz 750 ltd Keihin carbs
OUT meaning counterclockwise?
I read in a previous post,(#217386),that according to the Clymer manual, when you turn the pilot screw IN,clockwise,it is RICHENING the mixture.
Counterclockwise, it is LEANING it out.
I just got done synching the carbs and want to adjust the pilot screws.
The carbs ar stock,everything is stock.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2008 12:03 by jon0108.

More
19 Jun 2008 12:11 - 19 Jun 2008 12:12 #220930 by jon0108
THIS IS A COPY AND P{ASTE OF A PREVIOUS POST

1981 KZ750 LTD Idling Issue 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago
After much work on the carburetor and new ignition coil, I finally got the bike running really good. The only problem right now, is it won't keep idle.

When I start it, I have to increase the idle adjustment to keep the bike running. Then, once the bike warms up, the idle is too high.

Just wondering if there is anything specific to check?

Also the bike only runs really good with the pilot adjustment screw at 1 turn out from seated or less. Anything above that and it has no power and doesn't run good.

This bike has the Keihin CV34 carburetors. The Clymer manual I have says when you turn the pilot screw in clockwise it is richening mixture and counterclockwise leaning it out.

I checked my spark plugs to see if that would help. And they have no residue on them, I am wondering if I am running it too lean?
Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable
Last edit: 19 Jun 2008 12:12 by jon0108.

More
19 Jun 2008 19:12 #221014 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb richening 1983 kz 750 ltd Keihin carbs
Well about half of what Clymer claims is wrong and the other half is innaccurate. Geesh, why ask if you are going to quote ol' Floyd? If you loosen, lefty, counterclockwise, it richens... turn them all the way in and see what happens. See if it soots up those plugs or is so lean the bike won't start. Better yet, spray some carb cleaner into the air jet. Where does it lead to? The pilot jet. Spray some carb cleaner into the pilot jet well and see where it comes out. The little hole in the top of the venturi where gas atomizes for the pilot circuit. Makes sense if you close this off no air or fuel gets by. Look at a cutaway drawing of your carb... look at the passageways inside and use some common sense. See if Floyd Clymer is right. Geesh, they use the same text in about 2/3 of the manuals... they are talking about air screws. Air screws cut off airflow. Richen with turned in. You ain't got air screws.

To adjust your mix screws, start the bike and let it idle till warm. Turn your mix screws all the way in and then out 2 turns. Turn the each screw in and out about 1 turn to find the fastest idle by ear. Don't bother with the tach as it won't be a lot of rpms. Once you have the highest rpm, you can adjust the idle speed back down if it varies much. If it doesn't vary much leave that screw at 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated. It is pretty normal to not get much variation.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
20 Jun 2008 05:11 #221067 by jon0108
thanks. will be tackling the adjustments next week

More
21 Jun 2008 08:47 #221340 by jon0108
Thanks George,
the problem is that I need to use the choke everytime I start the bike. It just wont idle. Once warmed up it is fine, I can restart it without the idle. However if i let it sit for about an hour, i need to use the choke again. It feels like it is not getting enough fuel. Mind you this is on a 85 degree day.
Also once it is warmed up and running, my throttle response is poor. If i snap the throttle to W.O.T. I get a flat spot and sometimes stall. The carbs are synched. Checked compression and its within specs. Four gas readings are 2.0CO and 600HC on right bank and 2.0CO and 1600HC on left bank. I sprayed cleaner around the carbs to test for vac leaks. Found small vac leak on 2nd carb from the right at the shaft closet to the engine(exhaust side of carb), I've searched for seals but can't find a listing.