Probably the Carburetors

More
20 Jun 2008 15:53 #221198 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Probably the Carburetors
A few VM24 assemblies have both the air screws and pilot mixture screws. The pilot mixture screws will likely stick out of the well a bit so if you don't see them, then you don't have them I think... just to comment on your pilot jet. You were looking at them upside down. They are #15 pilots. There is a Mikuni symbol, you saw it looking kind of like a zero; sort of a square thing you can't see well and then the 15 and not 51... It wouldn't hurt to use #102.5 mains. the smaller mains are too small in almost all cases.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
21 Jun 2008 07:54 #221330 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Probably the Carburetors
I was wondering about how I was reading them, but I read them the same way as the new ones, guess theres no standard on them. I was wondering what jets to use because of the pod filters and the mac exhaust. I have a parts bike, 81 CSR 650 looks like carbs don't have the pilot screw or the air screw. Perhaps if I get them cleaned up it may solve my problems or point me in the direction I need to go.
Thanks,

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
21 Jun 2008 08:14 #221333 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Probably the Carburetors
It's worth a shot. I learn by taking things apart so working on the spare carbs first might help.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
21 Jun 2008 08:40 #221338 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Probably the Carburetors
bubbap wrote:

I was wondering about how I was reading them, but I read them the same way as the new ones, guess theres no standard on them. I was wondering what jets to use because of the pod filters and the mac exhaust. I have a parts bike, 81 CSR 650 looks like carbs don't have the pilot screw or the air screw. Perhaps if I get them cleaned up it may solve my problems or point me in the direction I need to go.
Thanks,

The pods are going to require larger jets all around. With emgo pods and stock 4-2 exhaust (which probably flows about the same as your aftermarket) on an 81 kz650 I was running 17.5 pilots and 115 mains with the needles in the 4th clip and my plug chops were dead on. The pod filters make much more of a difference in jetting than the pipe in most cases as I found out when I replaced the airbox with pods on my old 81.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2008 07:52 #221480 by bubbap
Thanks to my brother in law, last night we woke the sleeping beast. Turns out the air idle screws were way off. Once I turned them back in I could take her off choke and rap her up all the way with only minor hesitation. I want to thank everyone who posted, its been a huge help. I really didn't know my bike would be such a screamer, lol.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2008 12:26 #223326 by bubbap
Ok, I have actually ridden the bike now, which is great.
Now I have some small issues with the idle and carburetors still.
First off the bike starts on full choke immediately on starter or kick.
The issue I am having is after the bike has warmed up and idling at about 1000rpms, which it seems able to run well at.
When I rev it up to 4k it stays there. When I adjust the idle screws 1 and 4 will change the rpms but it seems carbs 2 and 3 have no effect. I am wondering could this possibly be a vacuum leak. I have removed the emissions and plugged all of the ports so I am not sure where the leak would be. I have checked the throttle linkage rod and it is closing all of the throttle valves.
The funny thing is when sitting a 4k I can adjust the idle down a little and the rpms come down, but I have to quickly adjust it back up to where it was to idle at 1k and it will stay idling until I hit the throttle again.

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jul 2008 11:09 #223760 by bubbap
Rode around for about an hour last night nothing over 55, but I was getting on the throttle pretty good. She really purrs along well. I am still having the problem with the idle. Whenever I come to a stop she tries to die but again if I adjust the idle any she will sit a 4 grand when I hit the throttle, unless I put a load on the clutch or turn the idle back down. When I do come to a stop with the idle where it is she idles about 500 and tries to die.