Not thrilled with carbs right now

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
More
14 Jun 2008 10:51 #219981 by BeeSting
Not thrilled with carbs right now was created by BeeSting
I've been on active duty for two years now, with the last year and a half on medical hold after I blew my knee out in Iraq. People on active duty do NOT arrive home at the end of the day with a smile on their face. Not until last week. I rode the KZ to work 2 days and I came home with a shit-eating grin on my face both days.

I can't talk about my girl around my fiance. She can't keep a straight face when I talk about siliconing a hose or greasing a shaft or lubricating anything - and besides that, she's jealous as HELL. (Buying my fiance her own helmet didn't help. Now she things I want a threesome)

So I'm still waist deep in hating carbs right now. My petcock is NOT leaking. I'm starting to get into what my issues are. I isolated the vacuum lines - putting caps on #1 and #4. I swapped sides on the manifold breathers and put breather elements on them.

I noticed that one of my boots (going from the carb to the airbox) was not seated properly. From inside the airbox I began pulling them out/off the carbs. As soon as I pulled out the third one the carbs dropped. The hose clamps on the front boots weren't holding anything. Could that be contributing to my problem at all?

NOT riding is killing me. If I had a wiredgeorge down the street I'd be there. As it stands right now, I can't even ride the bike anywhere and I'm in a real bitchy mood.

BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2008 11:15 #219984 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Not thrilled with carbs right now
If your carbs were not properly seated into the manifold and the clamps were not tight I'd say you probably had a an air leak and BIG problems with it running right. Air leaks from the carb to airbox hoses are less of a problem but should be fixed for optimum performance. BTW thanks for your Iraq duty and sorry about the knee.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
14 Jun 2008 12:32 #219988 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic Not thrilled with carbs right now
A thousand thank yous for your service to the country my man. Good to have you back home in one piece. We will get your ride straightened out. Yes that could be a big problem with a vacuum leak.;)

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2008 13:26 #219992 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Not thrilled with carbs right now
I got the carbs pressed back in properly. I felt them kinda pop in when they seated properly. So thats done.

I don't think the outside cylinders are firing now. This doesn't have anything to do with capping the vacuum ports on those carbs, does it??

BeeSting

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
14 Jun 2008 13:33 #219993 by Wildh2oskier
Replied by Wildh2oskier on topic Not thrilled with carbs right now
There should be some hose clamp thingies on those boots. If they aren't then you prolly are leaking air in. I just fixed mine a few minutes ago and it solved all my carb problems.
Good luck and thanks.

More
14 Jun 2008 14:40 #220002 by Locozuna
Capping vacuum ports on carbs? You mean the vents? DO NOT CAP THE VENTS. The ports on the manifold hoses should be capped but not the carb vents! Usually they are on the rail and there are two of them. The route back under the seat over the airbox. The must be left open.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
14 Jun 2008 17:57 #220053 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic Not thrilled with carbs right now
If the bike sat all that time with gas in it theres a good chance that you are starting to pick up the trash in the stale gas and plugging the pilot jets. They have microscopic sized holes in them and plug up easily

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
14 Jun 2008 19:30 #220071 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic Not thrilled with carbs right now

I don't think the outside cylinders are firing now

As in #1 and #4 cylinders? Did you check your pipes at the exhaust manifold to see if these are cooler (in relation to #2 and #3)? It's been mentioned that you could try swapping coil wires around. Hook up the wires for #2 and #3 to the outside cylinders, and check the temps again. By all means make sure the carbs are seated in the boots and clamped, but you might be barking up the wrong tree looking for carb issues. Good luck. B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2008 17:41 #220219 by BeeSting
I enabled the carb venting again for the outter two carbs. After some more fiddling all but the left most cylinder (while sitting on the bike) fired. I pulled the plug and cleaned it off. Now the 2nd from the left isn't firing.

Am I gettin any closer?

To blow out the carb jets - does that involve complete disassembly?

BeeSting

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
15 Jun 2008 19:49 #220238 by Locozuna
Just to make sure. When you see that a cylinder is not firing get a fresh plug and confirm that you are getting spark to that cylinder by putting the plug in the plug wire and holding it against the engine while cranking and looking a nice big fat juicy spark. The way you describe chasing around not firing cylinders sounds electrical in nature. If the cylinder is getting spark and it's not a timing issue then it is confirmed as a gas problem. You may want to go around cleaning electrical connections and doing WG's coil mod to give your electricals full power. A nice brass brush (better yet some microbrushes) ,some contact cleaner and dielectric grease does wonders for old systems. Last thing I like to do is chase electrical gremlins. I usually do a one time full assault. Clean and tighten them all. Pretty much rules out one whole system when troubleshooting after that. Another weak spot are the fuses. Change to blade type. There are a few great tutorials on here.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2008 21:29 #220250 by BeeSting
I read about that earlier today on George's new website. Its probably going to be something I do soon - its one of the things I've thought about thats cool about working on bikes= everything is right there and eager to be tinkered with :) Much different than working on a 454 in a Caprice wagon

BeeSting

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
16 Jun 2008 07:50 #220306 by snorules
Replied by snorules on topic Not thrilled with carbs right now
Amen to that. I gave up working on cars unless I have to and switched to bike. Less workspace requires, easier access to everything, and most things on a bike you can do by yourself (unlike pulling the engine or trans on a car). Also Thanks for your brave service in Iraq, hope you recover fully from your knee, and glad you are back home in one piece riding your KZ again.

1980 KZ550C (daily rider)
1981 KZ1000J (bagger project in progress)
1981 GS1100 (future dragbike)
1978 Z1R (not mine yet, but trying to work out a deal to acquire it).