Collars or Restrictors for Pod Air Filters

More
11 Jun 2008 20:49 #219508 by dnpurdy
Carb gurus - let me know if this is a terrible idea.

So I picked up a 1980 kz440 ltd which does not have the stock airbox element. From what I've read, if I want this to run right, I need it, as pods would be too free flowing.

However, here are two ideas for how to restrict the flow of air to the pods and hopefully match the airflow from the stock airbox.

1: put a cylindrical collar around the pod. Something like a 2" section of pipe around the pod and secure it. Attached is a mockup of what this would look like, but done with tin foil as I don't have the right sized pipe handy. (Imagine the tin foil is curved thin sheet metal or a large diameter pipe...)

This would prevent the cross wind issues experience with pods and restrict the amount of air immediately available to the filter.

2: tape bands around pod filter sections to limit airflow. Mockup in next post....

Both of these seem like simple ideas to try to emulate teh airflow found with the stock airbox. How bad of ideas are these? What might be wrong with them? Are either even worth trying or am I likely to screw something up way too badly??

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2008 20:50 #219509 by dnpurdy
Replied by dnpurdy on topic Collars or Restrictors for Pod Air Filters
Second idea...taping off sections to limit airflow....at a few bucks a pod, even if this mod did cause the pod to wear prematurely, I wouldn't mind more often replacement.

(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2008 21:58 #219520 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Collars or Restrictors for Pod Air Filters
why not rejet it for the pods. it will pick up a little hp that way.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
11 Jun 2008 22:16 #219525 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Collars or Restrictors for Pod Air Filters
Makarth wrote:

why not rejet it for the pods. it will pick up a little hp that way.

He (or somebody posting today) has a problem with engine power loss when a stiff cross wind hits it due to airflow change.

And, Pods don't always run right across the full range.

As for taping off a section of the pod, I don't think that's so good. Building a box around the pods might fly closer to the stock airbox.

I see airboxes around for cheap, you ight want to spend $50 and say goodbye to a pack of problems and jet tweaking that takes forever.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Jun 2008 03:06 #219559 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Collars or Restrictors for Pod Air Filters
IMHO rejett and sychronize your carbs and it will run great. Pods will add some power.

I don´t honestly know where comes the idea that "Pods don't always run right across the full range." Says who? CV carbs are more "civilized" and therefore they may feel to "run right" cause they react softer. I´m not shure but in a ´80 bike there should be non-CV -carbs. Running right is a matter of right jetting and sychronizing of the the carbs.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...