Help another happy new guy out.

More
11 Jun 2008 20:25 - 11 Jun 2008 20:26 #219496 by jp_goody
Help another happy new guy out. was created by jp_goody
Hey guys. New guy here with a 83 KZ550 LTD and happy as hell to be. I have not even got a chance to introduce my self yet. I just have a few simple questions to fire off that has been killing me.

1. After putting the bike up after ridding it smells like gas pretty darn bad. Then completly goes away. Normal??

2. Bike runs like a dream, EXCEPT it stumbles/hesitates every time around 1.5-2k RPM. Even after warming up. If you drive around with just a little haste you cant even notice it happening. When cruising into the nieghborhood and parking lots ect it can get pretty annoying. Even trying to be the most gentel the bike will lunge forward pretty hard after it catches up to itself. (Que wifes helmet knocking on mine!) Why, and again, is this normal?

3. Anyone know of where to find aftermarket plug wires? Or does everyong pretty much build them? My #2 plug boot is bad enough you can see it arching onto the cyl head when idling at night.

4. Could questions 2&3 be related. That would be way to simple.

Thanks for the time!!
Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 20:26 by jp_goody.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Jun 2008 21:26 - 11 Jun 2008 21:26 #219518 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Help another happy new guy out.

4. Could questions 2&3 be related. That would be way to simple.

It's very possible.
Replacing your arching plug wires sure can't hurt, especially since you state you're smelling fuel after putting your bike away after a ride. :ohmy:

For plug wires and just about anything else you may need for your bike,
give click--> Z1 Enterprises.com a look.
They've got great prices, fast service and are very knowledgable with our older bikes.
Jeff Saunders is Z1 Ent's owner, and is also a KZr member - good people. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 21:26 by RetroRiceRocketRider.

More
11 Jun 2008 22:19 - 11 Jun 2008 22:20 #219526 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Help another happy new guy out.
jp_goody wrote:

2. Bike runs like a dream, EXCEPT it stumbles/hesitates every time around 1.5-2k RPM. Even after warming up.

Guesses:

1) spark advancer

2) fuel levels in carburetor (could cause fuel smell)

3) somebody screwed with the air filter or headers and didn;t re-jet the engine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 22:20 by bountyhunter.

More
12 Jun 2008 03:19 #219560 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Help another happy new guy out.
OK, so you are trying to ride with only 1,5-2krpm? Think again now, idle revs should be around 1-1,3krpm and it´s a pretty tuned-up engine. It´s not designed to run like your averige family car so I´d not try to run with so low rpms at all. Under 2krpm is too low IMO.

But as others already wrote, replace the spark plug cap as soon as possible since that could cause all kinds of problems. Another thing which affects low rpm is carb syncronizing. This is very important and of course pilot air/fuel adjustement.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
12 Jun 2008 12:20 #219650 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Help another happy new guy out.
Welcome... I recommend you buy a factory service manual or Clymers and do a full tune up. Use new wires/caps and plugs. Adjust the valves/cam chain first, then the ignition and last, sync the carbs. Test your petcock to ensure it is working properly (it probably isn't) and replace the carb holders. Last, don't neglect other important safety issues like chain/sprocket maintenance, brake pads and fluids.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!