carb cleaning

More
10 Jun 2008 19:14 #219245 by rocker4488
carb cleaning was created by rocker4488
i must be missing something because im almost positive there has to be a walk through somewhere, but i am about to tkae my carbs off and give them a good cleaning cause im sure they need it, and would just like some basic pointers, recommendations, things to look out for, maybe a walk through, etc before i do.

oh, its a 1979 kz1000 e1 (shafty)

thanks in advance for the help,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2008 18:32 #219460 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic carb cleaning
No real exact way to do it but here is how I did it. You don't want to separate the carbs from the rack, no need to. I layed out a shop rag with 3 welding rods to keep parts separate. Have a cople cans of "carb spray". I'm a mechanic so I tore down all 4 carbs at the same time (you can do one carb at a time if you wish) and had my FSM (factory service manual) at my finger tips for reference. Disasemble each carb completly, take your time noting all clips, balls, O rings, etc. Wear some safety glasses and spray all carb componets until clean. I have compressed air at work so really helped a lot. Spray into EVERY open hole you can find and make sure it comes out somewhere, then back spray through that hole. Also spray all misclanious parts until clean. Make sure all holes are clear, all jets, etc, very clean. When your satisfied everything is clean (really clean).... do it again just to make sure! Reassemble with new kits if disired (I did) and follow all adjustments in the manual. Be really slow and careful as there might be some very tiny clips (pumper models) and some ball bearings, these parts can fly away, never to be found again. I lost a "C" clip which was about 1/16 inch across. I panicked but swept floor and then found it with a magnet! It's not rocket science but can be screwed up if you don't take your time and be careful. I even had to use my reading glasses and a magnifying glass a couple times. Don't over torque the small bowel or cap screws. Good luck and let me know how it's going. :)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2008 18:39 #219463 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic carb cleaning
When I do mine I always note the amount I turn any screws in until fully seated and then set them to manual settings. If you have any problems with the manual settings you can always go back to what you had which should not be far of the manual.

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler