Torn Diaphram

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Drive it like your tax dollars already paid for it
More
09 Jun 2008 18:02 #219026 by BeeSting
Torn Diaphram was created by BeeSting
When I got the bike a few days ago, the previous owner mentioned that the carbs might need to be "sync'd". The outer two carbs have new, chrome tops on them - is that where the diaphram is?

Anyways, someone on here mentioned that I might want to look at the possibility of the diaphram (or a diaphram) being bad.

Is this something I'm going to want to take to the shop and have them look at?

BeeSting

Flint, Michigan - Chicagoland, IL

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Kawasaki KZ750 H1 LTD (4)
Kurayami (Girl of Darkness)暗闇の女

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2008 01:07 #219080 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Torn Diaphram
Well BeeSting...it sounds like you may not have a shop manual (and get the Kawasaki manual first, then Haynes/Clymer)...I recommend you acquire one and I think there is a free downloadable version for your bike (if no one chimes in, I'll post the address later). If not, get one from eBay...they are actually quite reasonable.

The reason I mention the shop manual, is that the repair shop will eventually overwhelm you with charges and you could have been doing many things yourself.:) And yes, the diaphrams are under the covers and you should pull the carbs to remove the carb covers...and sometimes the diaphrams are repairable, other times, they have to be replaced (and they are still available out of the UK, but pricey).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 06:12 #219097 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Torn Diaphram
If I could get a downloadable (and free) manual that would be great. I've been searching for one.

BeeSting

If I wasnt such a badass American, I would have to drive a Harley to make up for it

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
10 Jun 2008 07:05 #219103 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Torn Diaphram
As far as the manual goes, here's a link to a full manual for KZ750-4's. The Gringo pointed it out to me when I was looking. www.mbsween.com/kz750l3/manual.html

The outer covers on your carbs are polished, the other two are not. Standard for these bikes. I'm pretty sure that you have Keihin CV34's like mine. The diaphrams that someone else mentioned are under those top covers. Whatever you do be very careful handling them.

Haven't thought if you need to pull the carbs to check the diaphrams.....with the tank pulled you could at least get to the outer two, just not sure about #2 and #3. I dealt with a torn carb on my KZ400 (same carbs just two of them) and the bike idled fine, just bogged down when I hit the throttle 'cause the diaphram would not lift the needle and let more fuel flow.

Two options with a torn carb, find another carb and a bike graveyard and see if you can pull a diaphram or have the torn one re-built. Wired George, our resident carb guru knows a place in the UK that will attach a new diaphram to your old slide, can't find the link right now, might want to check with him.

Good luck

More
10 Jun 2008 07:05 #219104 by Mcdroid
So BeeSting, do you have a two cylinder 750LTD or a four cylinder 750LTD? :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• BeeSting
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2008 09:32 #219795 by BeeSting
Replied by BeeSting on topic Torn Diaphram
Its a 4 cylinder. And I'm well on my way to being overwhelmed by all the carb issue posts.

BeeSting

1980 Honda CX500C - GONE
Christine

More
13 Jun 2008 09:45 #219803 by Mcdroid
BeeSting, as has been suggested, I'd lean heavily on WiredGeorge for advive and possibly for work on your carbs. He is very approachable and helpful...contact him directly at www.wgcarbs.com

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A