Possibly Running Lean?

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2008 14:08 - 09 Jun 2008 10:14 #218600 by letthegoodtimesroll
Possibly Running Lean? was created by letthegoodtimesroll
Here are a couple of pictures of my cylinder head. I'm not sure what the indications of the valves are. Any advise as to what the problems and solutions might be, if any? Thx in advance!

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2008 10:14 by letthegoodtimesroll.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 06:35 #219099 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic Possibly Running Lean?
I guess this is good? My concern was the 2&3 cylinders.

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

More
10 Jun 2008 15:20 #219192 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic Possibly Running Lean?
Looks lean on those 2, how old are the carb boots. Is that a wide open run look or normal street riding? Im no expert though but Ive been running them since the first Z1 came out, still own 2 of them plus a stock 1000 and an 1105 KZ

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 17:34 #219220 by letthegoodtimesroll
It is street running only. The carb boots are original as far as I know and do not leak as I have tested with carb cleaner and no rpm increase.

More
10 Jun 2008 17:54 #219226 by SLEEPER650
Replied by SLEEPER650 on topic Possibly Running Lean?
those plugs are WHITE its definetly running lean thats the jeting?

78 650sr my baby
78 650sr waiting for rebuild
82 kz1100

More
10 Jun 2008 18:00 - 10 Jun 2008 18:03 #219228 by SLEEPER650
Replied by SLEEPER650 on topic Possibly Running Lean?
the exhaust valves are white because of the exhaust temps from running lean. holes two and three are whiter because those two holes dont get as much air flow past them so they run hotter. how bad did your headr glow at night? :unsure:

78 650sr my baby
78 650sr waiting for rebuild
82 kz1100
Last edit: 10 Jun 2008 18:03 by SLEEPER650.

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 18:11 #219231 by letthegoodtimesroll
I don't ride a lot at night so I'm not sure. I have the recommended jets (117.5 I think) from someone on here. Should I raise the clip on the needle or rejet? I have the bike apart now to replace the cam chain, so it would be a good time to do it.

More
10 Jun 2008 20:47 - 10 Jun 2008 20:53 #219256 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Possibly Running Lean?
Hope engine isn't "pinging" under load.

Before going into carbs, would first perform clear plastic tube test to assure service fuel level in float bowls is within specs. Too low levels may result in excessively lean fuel mixture even in otherwise perfect carbs.

Would also assure ignition timing is correct and that advancer is working. Best to use strobe-type timing light. Incorrect ignition timing or faulty advancer can cause overheating.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Jun 2008 20:53 by Patton.

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2008 08:19 #219332 by letthegoodtimesroll
I have the Mukuni carbs and I don't believe I can do the clear plastic tube test but I have measured them the last time I had the off and they were good (floats). As far as the timing, I have a Dyna S that I installed correctly as far as I know and will have to get the bike running to do a light check.

More
11 Jun 2008 10:53 - 11 Jun 2008 11:01 #219367 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Possibly Running Lean?
letthegoodtimesroll wrote:

I have the Mukuni carbs and I don't believe I can do the clear plastic tube test but I have measured them the last time I had the off and they were good (floats). As far as the timing, I have a Dyna S that I installed correctly as far as I know and will have to get the bike running to do a light check.

The clear plastic tube test is quick and easy, and is superior to the upside-down while disassembled-on-the-bench dry measurement method which may get in the ball park but often misses the mark. (But admittedly, some folks do in fact report achieving consistent and accurate results from using the upside-down dry measurement method. This being after verifying the level by performing the clear plastic tube test, which is the only way to positively know, without any doubt).

And it may take longer to read this post than to actually do the test. :lol:

Here's how to perform the "clear plastic tube test" which checks the real-world float bowl service fuel level as it exists under actual operating conditions.

The test may be done while the carbs are on the bike and with no disassembly required (other than removing the float bowl drain screw).
And may also be done with carbs on the bench (holding them level of course).

Do each carb separately, one at the time.

Carbs must remain still and level during the test. May place bike on centerstand, or have an assistant hold the bike level.

Turn petcock off.
Fuel line remains attached to carbs.

On Mikuni manual throttle slide carb, remove side-located drain-screw from float bowl,which drains and empties the float bowl. The overflow nipple from bottom of floatbowl is not involved in the test on Mikuni manual throttle slide carb.

Must begin the test with an empty float bowl.
May use a shop rag to catch and soak up outcoming fuel.

Use short length of clear plastic tube.
Size of clear tube should match drain-screw hole.
Twist-thread clear plastic tube into drain-screw hole.
Some folks prefer using a small plastic barb-style connector fitted into the drain-screw hole with the clear tube attached to the connector, but it's really not necessary, because a little leakage doesn't invalidate the measurement.

Now here at this point is where the bike must be on its centerstand or being held level, because the carbs must be level.

Allow tube to loop naturally without kinking, and hold clear tube against top edge of float bowl.
Keep it steady - don't let it move.

Turn petcock on.
Watch level fill and rise up in clear tube as fuel fills float bowl.
Fuel level visible in tube matches fuel level inside float bowl.
Slight fuel leakage from the drain-screw hole is immaterial and won't invalidate the test.
Repeat test to double-check result.

There is a special fuel level tool available for fitment into side-located drain-screw holes. It is a relatively expensive thumb-screw affair with clear tube attached that threads into the drain-screw hole.

Refer to manual for specs as to ideal height of service fuel level.
A typical "correct" fuel level is slightly below the float bowl gasket,
say 1/8 inch or 2-4 mm.

Float height is a critical factor for proper carb function, and once set, should last a very long time without needing any re-adjustment.

Actually, the "testing" is much easier and quicker than the "adjustment" of a float tang which requires removal of the float, bending the tang, replacing the float, and again testing the level.

During the float tang adjustment process, it's okay and faster to use only one float bowl screw when checking the level between adjustments.
(This time and effort saving tip is courtesy of wg).

As known, small adjustments to the tang make large
differences in the fuel level, so go with tiny increments.

Hopefully, the test will show all the fuel levels being just fine, and without needing any adjustment, which eliminates from the list of suspects a too high (rich) or too low (lean) fuel level as the cause of an apparent fuel mixture issue.

Additional informtion about this test and float tang adjustments may be accessed by typing clear plastic tube test in the above Search Forum box, and clicking on Go, which should result in a list of several threads where the topic is discussed.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 11:01 by Patton.