carb issues on my 750

More
07 Jun 2008 14:08 #218598 by ds777
carb issues on my 750 was created by ds777
I bought a used kz750 ltd (the four- not the twin) and am having some carb issues with the bike. The third or fourth time I started the bike since I bought it I hadn't even ridden it yet, as I was waiting to get my CY on my license) I noticed a puddle of gas under the bike. I knew the bike ran before because I had my dad test ride it and the previous owner rode it to my house and neither time had any of us seen any leaking. I noticed the gas was coming from the center two carbs.

Running carb cleaner additive in the gas didn't make any noticeable change.

I removed the carbs, cleaned them, and changed the float bowl seals. still leaking, maybe even worse than before.

Removed the carbs again, my dad adjusted the tab that pushes the needle on the two leaky carbs. Then, without putting them on the the bike, pouring gas into the the carbs produced no leak this time, so I put them back on.

Now I can't get the bike to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Derrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2008 14:16 #218610 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb issues on my 750
Buy a manual. Then adjust the float levels properly as your Dad very likely mess them up. Use the service fuel level method. Then take the hose off your petcock with the petcock position in either the ON or RES position. If gas comes out the petcock, the diaphragm is faulty or the vacuum hose is compromised (either leaking air or not connected, etc). The petcock is supposed to shut off gas when the bike isn't being operated. The float needle/seat are not supposed to be gas shut offs. The carbs are likely flooded... fix the problem and drain the oil and replace it as it is full of gas as well. Did I say, buy a manual? Good luck!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Jun 2008 19:47 #218845 by ds777
Replied by ds777 on topic carb issues on my 750
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that the plugs were in pretty rough shape too, today, and a little wet with gas. I'm going to change the oil and the plugs and try it again and if it doesn't run I'm going to pull the carbs and have an area bike shop look at them.

Oh, I should clarify: the bike only leaks while running.

More
09 Jun 2008 06:38 #218910 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic carb issues on my 750
Well, if you are going to work with a bike shop, I will check out of this thread. Good luck!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!