fix or replace petcock?

More
07 Jun 2008 11:50 #218570 by iversonic
fix or replace petcock? was created by iversonic
Hi everyone, this is my first post and have almost no experience working on motorcycles.

I bought a 78 kz650 last year and the petcock has started to leak fuel from the side at an L-shaped tube connection. I also found out (the hard way) that switching to the reserve does nothing even though there's still fuel in the tank. I know I can get a rebuild kit from a few different websites, but where can I get a completely new petcock valve? Is there a benefit to switching away from a vacuum petcock? ...any other modifications if I do? Also, what other models have a petcock that will fit? (suzuki???)

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

1978 kz650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
07 Jun 2008 13:08 #218583 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic fix or replace petcock?
You can get a new Pingel replacement petcock (non vacuum) from several websites. I believe Z1 Enterprises sell them, all you need to do is measure the distance between the petcock mounting holes (usually 34 or 44 mm, and then order the correct mounting plate with the petcock. I have one on my KZ1000M and it works great. You just have to get into the habit of turning the gas on and off manually.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
07 Jun 2008 14:32 #218614 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic fix or replace petcock?
Welcome to KZr iversonic.

Some folks have had luck with the rebuild kit's, but most never seem to work as hoped. In fact, more often than not it causes the leak to worsen.

The Pingel petcock that Grantl mentioned is a good way to go, and the members here that use them really like them.

But if you'd prefer to stay with an OEM vacuum operated petcock, then you can purchase one for a late model ('80~ IIRC) KZ1000 Police bike through your local Kawi dealership (the OEM petcock for the KZ650 is no longer available).
It uses the same o-ring as your 650 does to seal between the petcock and the tank, and the mounting holes match up 100% perfectly. Trust me, I've had one of the Police petcocks mounted on my '78 KZ650 for over 4 years now.

The only thing that may be an issue is where the outlet fittings/nipples exit the petcock, as they may come in contact with either the top of the carb or the frame.
A simple removal of the diaphragm cover on the back of the petcock to rotate it and face that fitting in another direction is all that's needed to remedy that lil prob. :)

Expect to pay in the neighborhood of about $85 for a NOS Kawi petcock.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
07 Jun 2008 15:58 - 07 Jun 2008 15:59 #218627 by iversonic
Replied by iversonic on topic fix or replace petcock?
What happens if you forget to close the pingel petcock when you turn your bike off?

1978 kz650
Last edit: 07 Jun 2008 15:59 by iversonic.

More
07 Jun 2008 18:05 #218641 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic fix or replace petcock?
You'll have gas flowing through our carb overflows and all over our garage floor and if you're really unlucky it'll get into the crankcase vent and contaminate your oil. The float needles do a decent job of shutting off the fuel flow IF you have newer needles and seats and your floats are set perfectly, but they'll probably not stop the fuel flow from a gravity fed Pingel.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
07 Jun 2008 21:51 #218677 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fix or replace petcock?
iversonic wrote:

...petcock has started to leak fuel from the side at an L-shaped tube connection....

Where the L-shaped tube has simply gotten loose where it fits into the petcock, it may sometimes be successfully refitted using JBWeld to hold it in place and seal against fuel leaks. Might be worth a try.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jun 2008 07:18 #218702 by NiagaraZ
Replied by NiagaraZ on topic fix or replace petcock?
I had the same problem. The L shaped fitting is just pressed in. I gave it a wrap of Plummers teflon tape and pressed it back in. I eventually replaced it as the diagram gave up but it stopped the gas leak.

78 KZ650 D1

More
08 Jun 2008 08:16 #218706 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic fix or replace petcock?
Being as how your reserve doesn't work, how does your gas tank look, rust wise?

More
08 Jun 2008 10:12 #218721 by purgeraptor
Replied by purgeraptor on topic fix or replace petcock?
When my vacuum tap started leaking into the carbs on my Z650B3, I replaced it with a Kawasaki non-vacuum type.

It fits perfectly, same hole spacing and o-ring, and no interference to carbs.

Part number: 51023-057

More
08 Jun 2008 11:04 #218725 by iversonic
violentvintagecycles, the inside of my tank looks really good. no rust.

i know there must be some problem with my air/fuel or my spark because there is no power when i give it any throttle over just above idle. if i barely give it some throttle, i can feel the bike pull like it should. i'm trying to fix the petcock now because i know for sure it's not working.

1978 kz650

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
08 Jun 2008 15:11 #218763 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic fix or replace petcock?
I also would replace it with a non-vacumn type. I just "fixed" my vacumn petcock so it would function as a manual. Otherwise you will probably end up replacing it every few years.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
08 Jun 2008 17:58 #218801 by iversonic
ok, i think i'm gonna get the pingel and adapter because it's about $35 total and the kawasaki petcock is $80 - $85

thanks for all the suggestions, this website is pretty awesome!

1978 kz650