Hoses on the bottom of carb leaking gas

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2008 11:07 #218556 by AnxiousCowboy
Hoses on the bottom of carb leaking gas was created by AnxiousCowboy
I've tried to start my KZ440 the other day with no luck. I notice a leak under the bike and I check it out to find that there is gas coming out two hoses coming out the bottom of the carb. I'm a newb at this bike stuff, so what's going on with these hoses?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2008 13:19 #218586 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Hoses on the bottom of carb leaking gas
You didn't bother mention which year KZ440 you have. Edit your signature and put your year/model (its in your profile) and perhaps your location... having the bike info is kind of important if you expect precise answers.

The 80-82 440 carbs have overflow pipes. The gas coming out the overflow pipes was probably noticed when the bike was parked? If so, it is a sign that your petcock diaphragm is compromised or the vacuum line going to the petcock from the carb assembly. The purpose of a vacuum actuated petcock is to stop gas flow when the bike isn't running. If it continues to flow, the float needle/seat assembly are left with the job of trying to stop gas flow and this seldom works satisfactorily as these components were not designed to do this job... they are meant to meter fuel while the bike is running. The petcock is supposed to shut off gas.

To test your petcock, with the bike NOT running, just pull off the gas hose while the petcock is in ON or RES positions... if gas comes out, the diaphragm is shot or the vacuum line is leaking air or not connected... The vacuum line attaches to the petcock. If gas does NOT come out the petcock when you pull off the gas hose, you have another problem.

Sometimes the overflow pipe inside your float bowl can be cracked. If it is, it will leak and the gas will come out the bottom as if there is an overflow. Last, your float levels may be grossly out of adjustment.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
09 Jun 2008 15:57 #219008 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Hoses on the bottom of carb leaking gas
I had this problem before. Try putting in some new plugs.

For some reason, when i put new plugs in the bike this problem went away and never came back. (I did go for a nice ride after it started)

I have the feeling that something is sticking the floats or the needle valve.

Give it a try it may work and it only takes 5 mins to do.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST