Won't go off choke?

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
06 Jun 2008 08:54 #218347 by PFC FNG
Won't go off choke? was created by PFC FNG
Ok, in addition to the other resolved issues on the electrical forum, my bike is behaving like it will not go off choke. I start it on full and it revs to about 6000RPM, go to half choke and it revs around 4000RPM, go off choke and nothing happens. Continues to idle at 4000RPM. I looked at the mechanical linkages on the exterior of the carbs and nothing seems obviously wrong. Anyone have a thought as to what else might be wrong?

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2008 09:49 #218351 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Won't go off choke?
PFC FNG wrote:

Ok, in addition to the other resolved issues on the electrical forum, my bike is behaving like it will not go off choke. I start it on full and it revs to about 6000RPM, go to half choke and it revs around 4000RPM, go off choke and nothing happens. Continues to idle at 4000RPM. I looked at the mechanical linkages on the exterior of the carbs and nothing seems obviously wrong. Anyone have a thought as to what else might be wrong?

Would first assure idle thumb screw is correctly adjusted. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Jun 2008 10:33 - 06 Jun 2008 10:37 #218357 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Won't go off choke?
It might also aid a diagnosis to know what type carburetors are being discussed. If you fixed the air leak noted in one of your other threads, it will certainly help allow you to get your idle speed where it should. A leak will cause the idle to remain high/race.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 06 Jun 2008 10:37 by wiredgeorge.

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2008 10:02 #218543 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic Won't go off choke?
The carbs are supposed to be stock. The clymer manual says they are Kehins, but they have Mikuni stamped into the side of the carb body. I found an air leak, but I am beginning to suspect I may have another and am in the process of trying to track that down. Here is a pic of the carbs. The biggest difference is the manual shows a choke lever, whereas these carbs have a plunger linkage on te side with three positions for the choke (full, half, off).

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
Eastpoint, Mi
Attachments:

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2008 12:01 - 07 Jun 2008 12:01 #218572 by PFC FNG
Are the air vents (92005b) supposed to be capped off or routed through a hose of some kind?

www.kawasakiepc.com/SSIConverted/656249_080607_025849_5087.png

Eastpoint, Mi
Last edit: 07 Jun 2008 12:01 by PFC FNG.

More
07 Jun 2008 12:11 #218575 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Won't go off choke?
If you are running the carbs with those Nipples next to the airscrew uncovered it will cuase these problems. If you still have the smog system on the bike. If it even has it. It connects to the 1 and 4 carb. The nipple on #2 is for the petcock operation. And the #3 is just capped off. If you dont have a smog system cap them all off except for #2 and connect that one to your petcock. Assuming its a vacumn operated one. If its not a vac. Petcock cap em all.

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

• PFC FNG
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Jun 2008 15:02 #218762 by PFC FNG
Thank all of you for the help. Finally got everything sorted out. My "fixed" petcock was was the source of one vacumn leak, the other was the rubber hose that ran to the petcock. I put vacumn caps on both and it idles fine now, I just have to get in the habit of turning the petcock off when I stopped. Thanks again.

Eastpoint, Mi

More
08 Jun 2008 16:06 #218774 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Won't go off choke?
Good to hear! have fun riding her!

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)