Carburetor headaches

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
03 Jun 2008 15:00 #217704 by bubbap
Carburetor headaches was created by bubbap
I have been working on a full restoration on a 79 KZ650. She hasn't run since 85, and I just got her all back together.
So far she runs strong and sounds good, but it appears that I have some work to do on the carburetors. Heres the rundown- won't run under 2 grand, the timing is close but not perfect, runs way too rich the spark plugs are black but dry, accelerator pump seems to be working well but when you throttle up hard it falls on its face and dies. I'm not sure but I believe its mostly a problem with the idle jet but I am not sure. I have used new rebuild kits not jet kits so everything is still stock settings. I'm using pod filters and 4 into 2 Mac exhaust. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2008 19:47 - 03 Jun 2008 19:51 #217759 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carburetor headaches
bubbap wrote:

I have been working on a full restoration on a 79 KZ650. She hasn't run since 85, and I just got her all back together.
So far she runs strong and sounds good, but it appears that I have some work to do on the carburetors. Heres the rundown- won't run under 2 grand, the timing is close but not perfect, runs way too rich the spark plugs are black but dry, accelerator pump seems to be working well but when you throttle up hard it falls on its face and dies. I'm not sure but I believe its mostly a problem with the idle jet but I am not sure. I have used new rebuild kits not jet kits so everything is still stock settings. I'm using pod filters and 4 into 2 Mac exhaust. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Pods + headers will never run right with stock jets. Try the stock airbox and see if it improves.

For tuning, first step would be to set all the fuel levels in the bowls. Then synchronize carbs and adjust idle screws.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Jun 2008 19:51 by bountyhunter.

• bubbap
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
05 Jun 2008 08:39 #218087 by bubbap
Replied by bubbap on topic Carburetor headaches
Problem solved, a friend told me how to get rid of the emissions vacuum lines. He was wrong. She runs great now, just plugged the vacuum ports and she idles at a grand all day long.

1979 KZ650, Mac 4-2 exhaust. Restored after 25 years of sitting. Dyna elec coils, ignition. As old as I am, been in the family since new.