Carb Clean After many years

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Feb 2006 17:59 #21744 by xstreamcanadian
Carb Clean After many years was created by xstreamcanadian
My original plan was to soak my 12 years of sitting carbs in solvent(thanks to this site i didnt) and I was told that was a stupid idea. So what is the procedure for a thorough clean, remove top and bottom looks simple, do I need new gaskets when I do that? Also, can anyone reccomend a particular procedure for a good clean while maintaing the setup?

Thanks in advance you guys are great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2006 18:46 #21757 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Carb Clean After many years
Go into the Archive section up top and do a search for Carb Cleaning, and check the box "search subject only".

this link:
Archives search

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/02/05 21:47

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
05 Feb 2006 19:07 #21765 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Carb Clean After many years
There's a good article here www3.sympatico.ca/g.boudreau/CarbCleaning.html

Just keep rubber parts and O rings away from solvents. If take them apart then you will probably lose your current setup and will have to set them up again but dont worry - lots of help is available here. Rebuild kits from Z1 Enterprises or Sirius are a good investment. I would recommend them.
Good luck

Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750E1, 4->1, K&N pods

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Feb 2006 17:43 #22006 by xstreamcanadian
Replied by xstreamcanadian on topic Carb Clean After many years
great thanks a lot. I am getting the 'new' bike tomorrow and will start to clean it up this week, before the Valentines day thing and my wifes birthday which will both sadly keep me out of my shop..... maybe we could do a valentines day cleaning? kinda hard to sell that one I think!

More
07 Feb 2006 19:56 #22313 by ltdluke80
Replied by ltdluke80 on topic Carb Clean After many years
There is a great carb cleaning solution available from yamaha that is ideal for soaking carb bodies and internal carb parts. The instructions are for a "machine running" cleaning procedure but i find cutting the solution with 50% clean fuel and bathing in a container to work wonders. Do not soak rubber, paper, or any non-metal items.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
07 Feb 2006 21:05 #22343 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Carb Clean After many years
Get a few cans of compressed air (unless you have filtered airlines). Just a thought.

Use these on the jets after soaking them overnight in seafoam/fuel mixture. Also soak the bowls overnight in the mixture as well.
I did this and WOW they came out great!

More
11 Feb 2006 18:24 #23227 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Carb Clean After many years
I went with the carb kits and I'm glad that I did. This way I got a jet selection and all the gaskets and rubber O - rings etc. You'll likely find that most if not all of your O rings are brittle and hardened, in other words, crap. Don't be afraid of taking your carbs apart, it's wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. Get an exploded part drawing of your rack (check out the file section above, community, filebase), and an individual carb exploded view, you won't go wrong. Actually the needles etc. inside your carbs are probably fine and a guy can likely get away with just replacing rubber and gaskets (after a damn good cleaning, or two), if you want to cheap out. Another consideration would be buying stainless allan head bolts as a replacement for those dinky little panhead screws on the carbs. I bought a little jug of varsol and cleaned the hell out of everything using an ice cream pail, then I bought a couple of cans of carb cleaner (dismantle one carb at a time) and soaked/scrubbed everything down. I used a toothbrush and made sure that every orifice revealed daylight. Worked like a charm for me. Don't forget to reset your float height before putting the carb rack back onto the engine.