cv34 problem

More
25 May 2008 18:50 #215796 by rheintz1973
cv34 problem was created by rheintz1973
Cleaned carbs due to 82 ltd 750 been sitting for 6 yrs and wouldnt start without starting fluid and then would die. Now starts with choke great but wont idle with choke fully off, I can slowly turn choke off until idle gets rough and almost dies then a little more choke and idles great. Oh yeah, idles great but high btw 3 to 4500. I replaced gas and added 3 bottles of card cleaner to gas. I have the rubber tubed between the carbs and air box off still would that make a difference. Im thinking I need to syncronize the carbs and let the new gas and carb cleaner run through. Any help would be greatly appreciated...TY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2008 07:07 #215907 by JR
Replied by JR on topic cv34 problem
Having the airbox disconnected will make a big difference. Hook it back up and see how it goes.

If the bike has been sitting for years with gas in the carbs then it likely dried up and plugged some of the smaller passageways. If re connecting the airbox does not solve the problem then you may want to take the carbs off the bike, take then apart and give them a good cleaning.

Good Luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
26 May 2008 07:24 #215911 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic cv34 problem
Concur with JR. Possibly a couple of issues:

When you cleaned the carbs, did you pull the fuel/air mixture screws and clean out those passages really well? That's the circuit that delivers fuel from idle to 1/4 throttle.

I'm guessing on this one, but without the carb boots on from the airbox, it's either running way too lean or it short circuits the pilot jets so you can't draw enough vacuum for the fuel to be delivered. Make sure the air filter is on too.

More
26 May 2008 10:30 #215948 by rheintz1973
Replied by rheintz1973 on topic cv34 problem
Yes, carbs were taken off and disassembled and cleaned. I will reconnect airbox and see what happens. ty