Choke applied - my butt!

More
23 May 2008 06:37 #215286 by kzriderwi
Choke applied - my butt! was created by kzriderwi
I have a '78 KZ10002A2, which I purchased from the original owner back in '82. For the first time, I replaced leaking rubber gaskets / seals, along with painting the gas tank, new seat upholstery, Dyna S electronic ignition / coils / wires, fresh seals / oil in forks, cleaned the carbs, new tires, etc - everything to stock form. No valve adjustment, nor did I check (my error – next time). 17,000 miles on bike.

The seat is still off the bike as I have not finished it, but the rest of the bike was ready for a test run. I noticed that when I sat down on the bike's frame the rpm's would go from idle to 3500. I stand up - the rpm's return to idle. Strange but onto the test ride!

Ran well slightly off idle and after a couple of hundred feet, I cracked the throttle open - engine died. Pushed it back into the garage and attempted the same again. Stupid me - I found out that my butt (when seated) was covering the intake ports on the stock air inlet.

Why did the engine's rpm increase when I sat down on the fresh air intake? Prior to the test run, I turned the pilot screw out 1 turn on the stock VM26 carbs (carbs are not synchronized). I thought that the carbs were running lean so I increased the pilot screws to 1 ¼ turns out to richen the air / fuel mixture. From here I adjusted the individual pilot screws to listen to an increase in idle.

When I cleaned the carbs, I only replaced the top / bottom gaskets.

Next test run, after removing the stock air inlet section, the bike ran well from off idle to high rpm.

What should I do next and why did the idle increase when the engine was being ‘choked’?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2008 09:47 #215321 by cmmman
Replied by cmmman on topic Choke applied - my butt!
the idle increases because covering the air inlet increases the vaccum and the engine has no option but to pull more gas from the float bowls into the engine.

1977 KZ650B, modified.

• sully73
  • User
  • throttle till you see GOD, then brake.
More
23 May 2008 14:37 #215399 by sully73
Replied by sully73 on topic Choke applied - my butt!
ok i can see where your coming from with the engine pulling in more fuel, but wouldnt the engine die because of the lack of air and the extra fuel? should flood itself i would think, not run higher rpms. with the extra fuel, it has to have extra air to compensate. might be way off here as carbs are not my thing, but that doesnt make sense to me.

81 kz1000 ltd
72 cb750 chop