need advice for removing damaged pilot jet and and pilot screw

More
22 May 2008 17:23 #215197 by boobs
I am in the process of cleaning my carbs on 81 kz1000j. I separated them and cleaned no.1 carb no problem. Taking apart the second i noticed that who ever last worked on this had totally chewed up the pilot jet and pilot screw i cant even get a grip on either at all with anything. They are both recessed and all i can think of is to either drill em out or try using a small chisel to make a slot for the flathead... or magic. does any one have any advice for this

boobs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2008 19:19 #215216 by ronjones
In my case, the jets were totally buggered and needed replacement,anyway, so I used one of the small sizes of this: tinyurl.com/64xmm2
stuck it down in the jet hole and screwed them right out B) :)

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
22 May 2008 23:58 #215263 by Beatpoet
I've done the same with a small torx bit

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
23 May 2008 07:06 #215292 by H2RICK
Yep, I've got that Craftsman bit set. They're the dog's bollocks for that kind of thing. Highly recommended, IMO.
No "restorationist" should be without 'em....and reasonably priced too, for such helpful tools.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
23 May 2008 18:27 #215430 by boobs
yes thanks that should do the trick ill be headed to sears tommoroow thanks for the help