Service fuel level question

More
21 May 2008 09:06 #214920 by Mike W.
Service fuel level question was created by Mike W.
The bike is a KZ1000P. The carb is a Mikuni BS34. Regarding the service fuel level measurement, I've looked through the archives and seen only references to measuring this from the drain screw hole rather than the drain. Is there a reason not to use the drain? Seems like the same gravity is driving that problem. I know after I get out of the carb, I need to be in a better-than-0.25"-ID hole but that part is easy. There must be something to this because it looks like a total PITA to get at those holes on the inner two carbs and nobody seems to be not using the screw hole. Thanks.

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
21 May 2008 12:07 #214941 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Service fuel level question
Hmmm. I just used the drain hole and used the screw to control the flow. That's how it says to do it the FSM. Here's a snapshot of that section of the manual:

West Linn, OR
Attachments:

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
21 May 2008 12:57 - 21 May 2008 12:59 #214954 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Service fuel level question
Mike, I just re-read your post, and now understand where the confusion lies. What you have read in the archives does not apply to your type of carbs.

On my 78 KZ1000-B2 with VM26 carbs, there is no drain nipple with a screw valve that I can just attach a tube to, open the valve, and take a measurment. Instead, there is just a drain plug. So you either need to get the special tool ($$$) that is basically a valve that screws into the drain hole--or you need to improvise some other method--which is probably what you were reading in the archives.

On my '82 KZ1000 with BS34 carbs like yours, there is a drain nipple with a built-in valve screw. So you can just attach a vinyl tube to the nipple and open the valve to get your measurement. MUCH easier. Disregard what you have read in the archives. It doesn't apply to your setup.

West Linn, OR
Last edit: 21 May 2008 12:59 by Skyman.

More
21 May 2008 20:52 #215017 by Mike W.
Replied by Mike W. on topic Service fuel level question
Skyman wrote:

Mike, I just re-read your post, and now understand where the confusion lies. What you have read in the archives does not apply to your type of carbs.

On my 78 KZ1000-B2 with VM26 carbs, there is no drain nipple with a screw valve that I can just attach a tube to, open the valve, and take a measurment. Instead, there is just a drain plug. So you either need to get the special tool ($$$) that is basically a valve that screws into the drain hole--or you need to improvise some other method--which is probably what you were reading in the archives.

On my '82 KZ1000 with BS34 carbs like yours, there is a drain nipple with a built-in valve screw. So you can just attach a vinyl tube to the nipple and open the valve to get your measurement. MUCH easier. Disregard what you have read in the archives. It doesn't apply to your setup.

Sorry I didn't pick up on that... thank you very much for the clarification! Must be cool to be you... two KZ's:) Wait... I have two as well! LOL... thank you.

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3