carb jetting

• sully73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • throttle till you see GOD, then brake.
More
18 May 2008 12:49 #214363 by sully73
carb jetting was created by sully73
hoping you guys can give me alittle insight. as i posted before, i have an 81 kz1000 ltd, pod filters, and a 4-1 (nearly unbaffled). the guy i bought it from said that he put j model carbs on it to compinsate for the airflow, but its still too lean. the jets dont have any markings on them so im not sure if they are original j jets or not. any ideas as to where you would recomend me starting on the jets? i was thinking about 130-135. is this too large for these bikes or should i go with a tried and true combo. on all my old cbs, i used to go 120s on the mains with this setup and hit it every time. also is there a diff between kaw jets and the minkuni jets as far a number wise. thanks guys.

81 kz1000 ltd
72 cb750 chop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2008 14:39 #214391 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic carb jetting
sully73 wrote:

also is there a diff between kaw jets and the minkuni jets as far a number wise. thanks guys.

The stock kawi carbs usually are Mikunis, so the jets in them would be as well. The numbering should be the same for jet sizes.

I have no idea what jets to recommend, Wired George is the expert. As a semi-educated guess, I think with pods and straight pipes you should go about +2 up on the pilots and +3 up on the mains from stock size, assuming stock was the right size and not too lean to meet smog restrictions.

I think you might also have to rich up the needle settings to get proper throttle response, but that has to be dialed in after you get the proper size main jet.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• sully73
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • throttle till you see GOD, then brake.
More
19 May 2008 05:39 #214509 by sully73
Replied by sully73 on topic carb jetting
thanks bountyhunter, i was told that the stock jets were 122 and the j models were 127.5 or so. im putting new exhaust gaskets on today to seal up a ticker and then ill grab some new plugs and go chop test it once. hoping those are still 127s in there so i have a reference point. thats why i was wondering if there was a better combo to start with. im sure ill have to play with the needle abit, just a slight strugle off the line. thanks for the info man, anyone else wanting to toss some advice my way, please go for it. like i said, ive got some time wrenching on the old sohc 750s but the kzs are a new breed to me, any help would be great.

81 kz1000 ltd
72 cb750 chop