Thanks for the carb help guys, esp ran429

More
17 May 2008 20:47 #214255 by po boy
Finally got to go thru the carbs on my 80 KZ750E1 today.
How it was running as good as it did I don't know.
The screwball that had the bike in Arkansas didn't seat the diaphram for the #2 carb correctly. He pinched it and it leaked so that the slide would not raise unless it had major air flow thru the intakes.
There was an oddball secondary jet in one the carbs...don't know where it came out of...had a second hole drilled in it besides the one it's suppossed to have...very strange.
Only one pilot screw had a washer or o-ring.

Installed all the missing parts and 70/140 primary/secondary mains. This thing now idles smoothly and rips to redline like a bullet.

I still have to keep the bike running by hand when I first start it, unless I manually idle it up. Once warm, I have to idle it back down to @ 1100 rpms.

Other than that, it's running like a top.

Also changed out all the spark plug caps with new NGK ones. The original were flat crapped out. That's really cheap upgrade to do if ya get the chance. Heck, one of the resistors fell out the one of the originals when I took 'em off. I had noticed just 2 out of 4 caps arching to the head when I got home one evening. I also cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch off the wires to get good copper showing

Wouldn't ya know it, went on the shake down run and the clutch cable snapped!! I'd noticed a frayed strand just the other day, but didn't think it would bite the dust so soon.
Good thing it's easy to shift without one....:P :lol:

1980 KZ750E1
2002 Hayabusa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.