'82 KZ440 A3 Carb Sync Questions

More
17 May 2008 19:39 #214245 by A3440
'82 KZ440 A3 Carb Sync Questions was created by A3440
I posted this in my restoration thread but I think it is more appropriate in here:

"Well after some good research I decided to make a manometer and decided to go ahead and check the sync of the carbs today. Not good. I couldn't get the bike to stay running more than about 15 seconds but in that time I saw that the left carb is pulling WAY more vacuum than the right carb is. From the level line I put on the ruler the left side is pulling about 6 inches up the tube. This is most likely the source of my idle and engine running problems...spitting and sputtering with some backfiring.

I don't know which side the sync screw adjust, I am assuming the left carb as when I push on the sync screw rather the piece just below it the bikes idle normalizes some what. As soon as I decided to adjust the sync screw the bike cut off, my starter is bad and keeps draining my battery so it is on the charger now. This has to be the problem with the bike...I am almost certain of it now. Can any of you relate to my symptoms and maybe give me some direction or am I on the right track? Also I went to do the point gaps only to find I have no points under the cover...rather some black box with a small piece of metal barely sticking out the bottom of it and there is a small cam on the crank that comes like .3mm from hitting it, at least the feeler gauge was .3mm and was making contact between the cam and the boxes little metal strip.

When the cam lobe is pointing at the little metal strip on the bottom of the black box the timing mark is at "F". This black box has wires that look to go up to the coil. So any suggestions would be great...thanks all, Mike"

1982 KZ440 LTD - Now Running

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.