float adjustment on 81 kz750 twin

• toof
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • i was born here all my life
More
16 May 2008 09:15 #214012 by toof
float adjustment on 81 kz750 twin was created by toof
I am somewhat of a newbie but I am not an idiot! However, I feel like one now.after removing and cleaning my fouled carbs, it is time to address the problem of leaky floats.
Turns out there is nothing in my manual about how to adjust them other than a couple sentences about attaching a clear tube to the end of the overflow tube to check the carbs feul level. It does not go into detail about what to do after the fuel level has been checked. I also assume that the carbs neeed to be attached to the fuel line to test this.
I would greatly appreciate any feed back.

toofless dan
santa fe nm
1980 kz750 ltd twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2008 10:19 - 16 May 2008 10:22 #214027 by Ilbikes
Replied by Ilbikes on topic float adjustment on 81 kz750 twin
Well, that is one that I can help with.

Now it's not the over-flow. You actually have to attach it to the drain using a special adapter - either homemade or factory.

Here is the sequence -
1) turn fuel to "on" to make sure all fuel bowls have a chance to fill.
2) turn fuel to "off" and drain one carb bowl.
3) attach said tool (level gauge) and turn fuel "on" and read the fuel level right off the clear tube. If it's too high, you want to reduce the float level in the bowl (make it shut-off earlier). You do this with the float "tang" which is the small, square tab that acts upon the float needle and seat.
4) re-install bowl, turn fuel "on" read clear tube - make adjustments as needed until you get it right.

The bad news is that just because the level is right and your float has a measured height of 26mm or 24mm - there is nothing to say the one next to it won't require something enirely different. all of my floats had different bouyance. The reward is that you'll solve some rich idle and low-speed issues. One last benefit is that you'll be good at adjusting by the time you get the last one done.

Regards,
Gordon
Last edit: 16 May 2008 10:22 by Ilbikes.

• toof
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • i was born here all my life
More
16 May 2008 10:29 #214029 by toof
Replied by toof on topic float adjustment on 81 kz750 twin
thanks gordon. I appreciate your help.

toofless dan
santa fe nm
1980 kz750 ltd twin