carb drain weeping

More
12 May 2008 17:25 #213117 by squints
carb drain weeping was created by squints
My #2 carb is weeping gas from the drain opening at the bottom float bowl. (drain opening -not sure of the correct terminology). I tightened the drain screw but its still doing it, my buddy said the float might be stuck and the opening also may serve as an overflow drain, is he right?

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2008 17:35 #213119 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic carb drain weeping
Make SURE it isn't the t-fitting(union) that's leaking.
That's the t-fitting in between the 2 carbs(there were 2 of them on my 26mm mikunis).
They had ME fooled for 2 YEARS,before I realized that it WASN'T my bowls leaking(with new gaskets).
I took the carbs off the main holding bracket,and wrapped teflon tape around the t-fittings,and presto!They were dry as a bone until I swapped carbs.(3 seasons later)B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
12 May 2008 18:13 #213140 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic carb drain weeping
if its the drain try tapping bottem of bowl with plastic screwdriver handle.sometimes a little piece of trash gets stuck in needle and seat holding it open and that knocks it loose;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 May 2008 19:34 #213163 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic carb drain weeping
PLUMMEN wrote:

if its the drain try tapping bottem of bowl with plastic screwdriver handle.sometimes a little piece of trash gets stuck in needle and seat holding it open and that knocks it loose;)

Yes -- and sometimes helps to do the tapping with the float drain screw removed and fuel flowing through the carb, so while tapping, the flowing fuel may help flush out any trash between the needle and seat. OR can leave the drain screw in place, and do the tapping while the engine is running.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 May 2008 18:01 #213403 by squints
Replied by squints on topic carb drain weeping
tapped and drained...tapped and drained.. i also removed and reinsalled the fuel line to the carbs to count out any other causes. Time will tell

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY