gas leaking out all over top of engine

• jorn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
More
12 May 2008 15:49 #213101 by jorn
on my '80 kz750g, i've got brownish gasoline soaking the bottoms of the bowls and leaking out all over the top of the engine. Would this be indicative of the floats set way too high? The bike will not idle at all (dies if it drops to 2000 rpm) and will barely run without at least half choke.

A little background: the guy I bought the bike from said he rebuilt the carbs. This scares me since steell, who owns like two of these, has never been able to find a carb kit for the bike.

Also, I see two adjustment screws on the left side, one going through the choke lever and the other slightly behind and above it. What are these for? Are there more external adjustment screws that I need to have access to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jorn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
More
13 May 2008 18:55 - 14 May 2008 12:30 #213417 by jorn
Replied by jorn on topic gas leaking out all over top of engine
Update:

I took the bowls off and lo and behold, three of the four float pods in the twin carbs had great big holes in them. Now I'm faced with the problem of finding replacement floats, and I've had no luck so far in that arena. Anybody know where I can get floats? Kaw part # is 16032-008.

P.S. My engine is actually a kz750b, see this thread .

P.P.S. Actually, it probably isn't. :P

Last edit: 14 May 2008 12:30 by jorn.

• jorn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
More
14 May 2008 12:33 #213620 by jorn
Okay, I really need help here. Those brass floats were discontinued by Kawasaki, without a supercession. No dealers around have them, and I haven't found a salvage yard that can help either. How can I get these floats? Could I get some other floats that fit and modify them?

:dry: Starting to wish I'd have just put out a little more money and gotten a bike that already ran.

More
14 May 2008 12:44 - 14 May 2008 12:54 #213622 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic gas leaking out all over top of engine
Hi jorn, these are not listed as fitting your bikes carbs but it would be a good idea to call Jeff @ Z1 and ask for some advice.
z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2036
Another idea would be to check both local and online boneyards and pick up a spare pair of parts/replacement carbs. From my experience they run about $80 w/s/h from the online stores. You might get a better deal from a local place. My local used parts guy seems to have quite a few of these old KZ's and is very reasonable. If you want his phone # send me a PM. Hope this helps.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades
Last edit: 14 May 2008 12:54 by ronjones.

• jorn
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
More
14 May 2008 15:34 #213644 by jorn
ronjones wrote:

Hi jorn, these are not listed as fitting your bikes carbs but it would be a good idea to call Jeff @ Z1 and ask for some advice.
z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2036
Another idea would be to check both local and online boneyards and pick up a spare pair of parts/replacement carbs. From my experience they run about $80 w/s/h from the online stores. You might get a better deal from a local place. My local used parts guy seems to have quite a few of these old KZ's and is very reasonable. If you want his phone # send me a PM. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, ron! I called z1 and the guy I talked to was pretty helpful, but didn't know whether the float would work. However, I did a little bit of digging for Mikuni parts rather than Kawasaki parts and found this . I'll let you guys know how it works out, but I think that's right what I needed. By the measurements and the look of it, it's a perfect match.

Praise God! :laugh:

More
14 May 2008 18:59 #213669 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic gas leaking out all over top of engine
Shoot, should of thought of them. :blush: :( I've bought jets from them and they seem very good. The carbs on mine take floats more like the type @Z1.
Glad you found them and are on your way to getting them rebuilt. W/that much gunk in the bowls, your jets and journels are probably pretty clogged. Tear them down, not that hard to do, and clean real well, sonic cleaning is a good idea, if you can get someone to do them. Keep carb cleaner away from rubber parts... especially the diaphrams. :blush:
Do you know about the exploded parts diagrams here?
tinyurl.com/y43vsh
The twins are great bikes once you get 'em runnin':cheer:

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades