Only runs on choke

More
12 May 2008 05:59 #213004 by axisfx80
Only runs on choke was created by axisfx80
Hi, I have a 78 650 I bought from a guy that had it sitting in the garage for 10 years, I took apart the carbs, and blew out the bowls, jets and the like with carb cleaner and compressed air, put them back together, it starts and runs only on choke, if I take it off choke it dies instantly, even with a little throttle input , throttle input with choke on causes backfires through the carbs and muffler I'm guessing the carbs need adjustment or a rebuild, seeing as I didn't remove the air screws to clean them, just blew them out. I need any kind of help I can get

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2008 18:29 #213663 by tgutz
Replied by tgutz on topic Only runs on choke
i also have a 78 kz650 i bought from a guy who said it was in storage for 10 years - same issue, ran on full chioke - but not so much after. After tons of research on this site and various others, I decided to rebuild the carbs - they were absolutely filthy! Jets cloggeg, vents clogged, o rings shot, i'm suprised it ran at all.
Also check your tank for rust and debri, rebuild or replace petcock, install an inline fuel filter, new fuel hose and new vacuum hoses, and make sure all vac. caps and vents and overflows are in place.
Plenty of resources here and parts are not that expensive for rebuilds and upgrades. If you are mechanically inclined, and have a fair bit of patience try it yourself.
If not have them rebuilt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.