1981 CSR 1000 Please Clue me into Whats going on with this bike!

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2008 16:21 - 11 May 2008 17:03 #212870 by Bullitt03737
A little background information on the bike.It is Stock except for dyna coils. It only has 12k miles on it. My dad bought it a few years back and it ran like a champ, but when he got it there was a surgical clamp pinching off the vacum line from the petcock to the carbs. Strange. So he decides it wont pass inspection this way and decideds the carbs need cleaned out. But in order to do this you much remove the factory preset idle screws. Mistake one. Then While blowing the carbs out with air, a little silver plug blew out of the bottom of the carb body. (BS34) Now he knew a guy with a new one so he put it in there, but my concern with it is that it sits lower than the rest of them, and i Kind of think its leaking. That was mistake two. After "cleaning" them the bike was reasembled, it dosent start now. It sat becuase he gave up on it. That was mistake Three.

So since then MY buddies have all gotten bikes so its my mission to fix this thing so I can ride it to work and cruise with them.

Now what I know what is wrong and the symptoms of the bike.

-A coil WAS bad. They have been replace with new dynas

-It will only run with the choke on, But fires right up like its suppose too.

-The bike will rev uncontrolably (sp)

-It will not idle at all, but will ride fine above idle.

-All the spark plugs are black and sooty. Sometimes wet.

-My vacum guages say that 1,2, and 3 are pulling the exact same vacum, and pulsating the same. #4 is a little behind the game. It not only pulses diffrently but also has LESS vacum than the rest.

-The choke plunger on #4 was all ate up, so it was replaced. I think think that maybe a peice of the rubber got sucked up into the fuel system??? hope not.

-The brass rods on the sides of the carbs for the enrichner circuit worry me becuase I do not know how to clean them.

- What is the correct pilot jet? I have the 37.5 ones. But the rebuild kits came with some that are much larger, not marked for a size, but are also perforated on the sides. Im wondering if they are suppose to be in there instead. Also the correct main jet size? it has 122.5 as of now.

-We have another set of carbs coming soon, for parts of course and somthing to refrence.

-EDIT The airscrews are set at 1 3/4 turns out per the clymer book. It seems as if the bike is sluggish off idle.

I know its really long but I need help becuase there isnt anybody i know of in my area that I think is capable of fixing this bike being vintage and all. Thank you so much.

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)
Last edit: 11 May 2008 17:03 by Bullitt03737.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2008 08:20 #215313 by Bullitt03737
Well I got her goin! I bought another set of carbs off ebay put them in and it fired right off...after I switched back the 3 and 4 plug wires to the respective cylinder...

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

More
23 May 2008 08:58 #215320 by harm
Glad to hear you got it going!

Did you need to clean the replacement carbs?

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2008 13:41 #215384 by Bullitt03737
not at all. I just pulled them out of the box. Threw them on the bike and is started right up. Ive put about 13 miles on it and the plugs are nice and tan!

More
03 Jun 2008 17:08 #217727 by tool maker
Don't change a thing, just ride!
Nice score on the carbs.

Lancaster, PA

82 KZ1000 M2, stage 3 jet kit, pods, 4 into 1 Mac, Accel coils & wires.

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2008 18:04 #217738 by Bullitt03737
I pulled em the other day becuase it started leaking gas.I pulled the plugs on the pilot jets just becuase I was in there. And they all had residue of rust in them. And number one had about another 1/8inch below the plug of rust. So I removed all that and it runs even more solidly (sp?)