Choke idle speed

More
11 May 2008 08:08 #212765 by enormiss
Choke idle speed was created by enormiss
Is there a typical idle speed when choked?
Bike starts right up but idles around 4000 fully choked.
Half choked until warm then choke off idle is about 1300.
This normal? Seems high but what do I know :laugh:
THANKS
Norm

81 750 LTD
96 DR 350
94 DR 350
S. Jersey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2008 08:16 - 11 May 2008 08:18 #212768 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Choke idle speed
Sounds pretty normal to me.normal idle speed with choke completely off should be around 1000 rpm.
Last edit: 11 May 2008 08:18 by 76 LTD.

More
11 May 2008 09:03 #212780 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Choke idle speed
Uncertain whether this has universal application, but has always been my practice to get off the choke ASAP and just use throttle to keep engine running during initial warm-up as the better method to avoid possible fuel-fouling of the sparkplugs during warm-up.

This is especially useful when battery may not be up to full charge where the spark is a little weaker than normal. Also a good reason to use the kickstarter where applicable.

Tip -- After starting cold engine and just getting on the road, and "dropping a cylinder," :( it may be that a lowish battery is not allowing a good full spark (especially after using the electric starter). If a separate switch allows running without the headlight turned on, often switching the headlight off and running for awhile (several miles), the dropped cylinder will resume firing. :cheer: Then it will usually continue firing when the headlight is switched back on. At least this works for me. [Yes, I know, should keep the battery properly serviced and fully charged, use a battery tender, etc. etc. :lol: ]. How many of us rely on taking a quick look at the headlight to determine if there's any juice in the battery just before cranking up? :P Hoping it's not necessary to strike-a-match to see if it's on. :lol:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 May 2008 11:25 #212815 by enormiss
Replied by enormiss on topic Choke idle speed
Oh I take it off choke asap, mostly cause the high revs at idle frightened me :laugh:
I'll go w/ it's normal and keep the practice of lowering choke after start up ;)

81 750 LTD
96 DR 350
94 DR 350
S. Jersey