throttle issues

More
07 May 2008 19:38 #211964 by fishybass
throttle issues was created by fishybass
Hi all.

I got my bike started! It runs for more than a few seconds as long as I am playing with the throttle. I think this should be fixed with a carb synching. But from what I read, you need to set the idle before you synch the carbs. So, one caveat before my questions... I am COMPLETELY new to bikes.

My idle screw is all the way in and still barely makes contact with the throttle assembly. As I move the throttle the bike actually slows down instead of speeding up. Is any of this normal? Any thoughts are welcome.

Also, can I use a manometer while adjusting the throttle or does the throttle have to remain in a static position?

Thanks,
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2008 05:53 #212001 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic throttle issues
Sychning is done around 3000rpm. This can easily be obtained by turning the idle adjustment screw to achieve this rpm. Rpm should be stabile when sychnig all 4 carbs to get most accurate readings.

The second Q is more a mystery :unsure: Wat do you mean exactly? Opposite throtle play? It is possible in carbs that have 2 cables to istall them vice versa ie. pull cable and push cables mixed. I this possible in your case??

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
08 May 2008 17:51 #212148 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic throttle issues
That was my initial thought as well that the cables were switched. So I switched them -- but of course that changed the direction the handlebar throttle control operated, not the direction of how the carb operated.

Should the choke be turned off immediately after starting, or after a few minutes?

I am starting the bike with the choke on. I have heard that the choke can cause feedback. Perhaps this is causing an increasing idle. When I operated the throttle slides with the choke engaged I am causing the same amount of air to pull less gas from the bowls, which slows the bike down. I think this makes sense.

I will play with the choke and report back.

Ben

More
09 May 2008 02:40 #212253 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic throttle issues
Ok...hmmm...still not too clear idea.

Starting cold: 1)Choke on - hit starter button 2) When engine starts it might start to rev up. When this happens slowly/gradually take choke off. 3) When engine idles w/o choke it´s warmed up.

Playing with throttle when choke is on can make all kinds of funny effect. It may die or rev the heck up so be carefull. Play with choke and throttle (if needed) to keep it runnin on about 2500rpm. When choke is completely off it should idle. If it doesn´t do not play with the idle addj. screw. Take it for a spin so it´s completely warm and then you can determine the right adjustement for idle screw. If you adjust when engine is not completely warm, you may have very high rev idle on next traffic light and it´s not easy to adjust sitting on the bike. That´s not recommendable, but it shure is funny to look at:P

When you get it running properly and taken a few short trips you should synchronize the carbs. This means that carb butterfly valves are individually adjusted to a level that all carbs produce the same level of vacuum. Synching has nothing to do with mixture or jetting but it should be done first since it has a huge effect on how the engine runs.

Hope this helps.

And I really recommend you to buy a service manual for your bike. Original is the best but Clymer or Haynes are also helpfull. Ask around, maybe someone on this forum has one for your bike.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...