Z1B idle and throttle issues..

• PhildoBaggins
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2008 04:53 #211526 by PhildoBaggins
Z1B idle and throttle issues.. was created by PhildoBaggins
Hey guys,

this almost seems like a broken record with my bike there has to be something im missing. I go ahead a break down everything ive down and tried:

1975 Z1B
-Bought the bike from owner that let it sit in a garage for 3 years
-4 in 1 exhaust
-cylinder and head was replaced with KZ1000 components.
-carbs are from a similar bike not stock Z1B. They have the three bolts on top drain screws come out the sides with a accelerator pump.
-rebuild carbs
-compression seems fine
-all synced up
-float levels are fine
-fuel mixture is set at 1/8th turn
(if i missing something ill throw it in later)

My problem is when i go to start up with choke on i can get it crank up usually with no problems. ive never been able to settle the idle below 1300 - 1600 range. Without messing with the throttle it will warm up just fine as i start to move the choke off the idle climbs at half choke it will run fine and sometimes the idle will settle back down. then when i attempt to get it throttle it sounds really bogged down and rich. and unless i really put on the throttle it will die.

Does anybody have any ideas on what i should be looking at next?

1975 Kawasaki Z1B Cafe (Project)
1979 Yamaha Xs400 Cafe Daytona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2008 05:49 #211529 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Z1B idle and throttle issues..
Pilot circuit obstructed/dirty and the carbs should also be properly bench sync'd. The idle screw is not in the center of the range of the slide adjusters. You should first check compression and adjust your valve clearances. Has timing ever been checked? Is this accelerator pump working?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• PhildoBaggins
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2008 08:46 #211558 by PhildoBaggins
Replied by PhildoBaggins on topic Z1B idle and throttle issues..
Thanks alot WG Your knowledge alone has got me out of so many holes ive dug for myself. I plan on taking apart the carbs again and double checking the pilot circuit. What tool would you recommend to fish in those holes?

-I have checked the timing and it is fine.
-How do you know when your accelerator pump is working?
-Im not sure i follow you on the idle screw being center of the range.
-And i did sync the carb with vacuum gauge is there another way to sync them on the bench?

More
07 May 2008 07:10 #211748 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Z1B idle and throttle issues..
"What tool would you recommend to fish in those holes?"

An ultrasonic cleaner is about the only way I know. You can spray with carb cleaner and compressed air I guess but that is not as effective.

"How do you know when your accelerator pump is working?" With the carburetors on the bike and bowls filled, and airbox or pods removed, twist the throttle and look to see if gas squirts out the pump squirters located in the venturi of each carburetor.

"Im not sure i follow you on the idle screw being center of the range." Purpose of the idle adjust screw is to be able to open and shut the slides. If the slides have been adjusted (in the past) using too large a wire, they will not be able to be shut. They must be able to open far enough to allow an idle at the correct speed and shut all the way or the idle can be set too high... say they are only able to close with 2mm gap.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• PhildoBaggins
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2008 03:26 #211994 by PhildoBaggins
I took off the carbs and sprayed through the pump squirter to make sure they worked and they seem to be working fine. However when i put it all back to together and filled the bowls with gas the pump didnt squirt like it was suppose to. I also replaced the connecting fuel lines that connect at the bottom. And I noticed no gas getting to the other bowls. Im not sure how to troubleshoot the acc pump.

More
08 May 2008 03:35 #211995 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Z1B idle and throttle issues..
Make sure the passage from the float bowl to the pump chamber isnt plugged this is where the pump gets its fuel supply.it has a small check ball mine was stuck.

• PhildoBaggins
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2008 16:51 #212134 by PhildoBaggins
76LTD let me ask you a question do you have check ball values in all the float bowls? I asked the guys from Z1 they said to just have the one in carb #2. I took them off again and it barely squirts in the #2 carb. I dont know what else to do here. besides take them all apart and get them cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner.