Can't turn the choke off

More
04 May 2008 23:45 #211231 by BLK750
Can't turn the choke off was created by BLK750
Hey all, I have an 80 KZ750 LTD and my issue is that I can't turn the choke off. The bike starts fairly easily and though i'm new to bikes I can get a feel for when to turn the choke down or up. Unfortunately if I attempt to turn the choke completely off, the bike wants to die out. Mind you, this is after the bike is adequately warmed up. I'm not to good with carbs, especially small ones, so please help me out here even if it's just to give suggestions as to what to check. I also have a small oil leak that i'm not too sure where it's coming fom and a somewhat minor exhaust leak right before the muffler on the left side exhaust pipe. Not sure if any of that helps but i'd like to at least get this thing running good for once.

2014 Ford Edge SEL
2006 Yamaha RoadStar Warrior Midnight Edition
1980 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2008 02:46 #211248 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Can't turn the choke off
Could be a number of things.

I would say that you can turn the choke off, it's just that when you do, the bike dies.

How is your filtration? Is this the result of a gradual declination or was it sudden?

Has there been any other changes to the bike recently? (tune ups, sat for a winter, used questionable fuel, loaned out, taken to shop....)

How do your plugs look? (black and sooty, wet, oily)

Have you tried turning up the idle a bit?

Could be your pilots are plugged/fouled..

First off, try some gas treatment, and read your plugs. I advocate using a can of "Sea-foam" to attempt to clean out some of the crud that may be blocking some of your carb passages. See if this helps at all. Then, replace your plugs if you feel it is needed. (If you change/fix two things at once, it is harder to tell which one had been the initial problem.)

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
05 May 2008 06:34 #211271 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Can't turn the choke off
The pilot circuit on your Keihin CV34 carb assembly is dirty/partly obstructed. Clean pilot circuit including the slow jets.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!