kz1000 carb.same problem but possible solution

More
01 May 2008 20:50 #210578 by jim_palmore
like alot of the forum folk I too am having problems with my carbs. I have a stock 91 kz1000p and have switched the air box for pods (got them on EBay 4 for $28 emigo)..
the way I have come to understand it is that the pods allow a greater volume of air than the box. so can I make restrictors for each pod to set the air flow back to the cfm that the air box was?? if so what size would the orfice need to be to simulate the box??
ace hardward up here has big rubber corks like in science class.or use a pvc pipe reducer. I think the rubber would fit tighter in the intake.
thoughts????????????????????

ENJOY LIFE,, THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.
1991 KZ1000P FROM COPPER TO CHOPPER. MY BADASS BOBBER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
02 May 2008 02:43 #210611 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic kz1000 carb.same problem but possible solution
I take it you don't want to rejet the bike for the pods?

The best scenario for you is probably just reinstalling the stock airbox unless theres's a reason preventing you from doing so.

Short of that, buy a jet kit for the carbs. Install it at baseline settings and you'll be in the ballpark.

I dont' have a stock airbox for one of those bikes or I would flowtest it and let you know. Still, all things considered, to restrict the pods to the point of running stock jetting gains you only cosmetic benefits [providing you like the looks of the pods].

The only way I can think of to restrict the pods flow, keep their appearance and not screw with the carburetor's ability to give reasonable performance is as follows.

Get some sort of plastic pipe, PVC...something. Choose a diameter that will fit inside the pod to take up as much space as possible but keep the length of the pipe short enough that it doesnt' protrude all the way to the carb's bellmouth. Length and diameter are the key here. Epoxy the tubing to the rear of the pod.

You're going to want to kill most of the flow through probably 1/2 - 2/3 of the filter. [Guestimate]

At best, it's a trial and error approach. Very time consuming. Inverse to any normal tuning process. Makes no sense to me to even begin to attempt. It is however possible if you want to put the time into it.

To discover how much restriction you may need, you could start by duct taping the outside of the filters, then once you have the tuning performed, use the tubing inside the pod to duplicate the restriction as close as you can get.

The drawback will be this. You probably won't hit the exact restriction you had with the duct tape without also running into other influences on the carburetion because of the proximity of the pipe to the bellmouth of the carb.

Once you epoxy the tubing into the filter. It's pretty much there to stay unless you put some kind of an end on it and fasten that end to the pod's chrome tip.

Well, that's one approach you could try anyway.

More
02 May 2008 06:15 #210636 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz1000 carb.same problem but possible solution
What a strange idea... put pods on and then try to restrict them so you can use stock jetting.

I suggest you change jetting. Use #140 main jets and type BS30/96 Mikuni pilot jets size #40. That will be right for your bike. I NEVER advise carb kits for a BS34 as the jet needles only come one-size-fits-all and they are hard to tune. They don't give you a pilot jet and the mains tend to be on the large size.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 May 2008 22:41 - 02 May 2008 22:48 #210822 by jim_palmore
Replied by jim_palmore on topic kz1000 carb.same problem but possible solution
its all cosmetic. the pods fit the look I like. was trying to get a cheap fix since money is low. my friend got the carbs to run. will rejet when I get the pipes done. I wanted it to be rideable till I could dial it in.

ENJOY LIFE,, THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.
1991 KZ1000P FROM COPPER TO CHOPPER. MY BADASS BOBBER
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2008 22:48 by jim_palmore.