Fuel Tank & Carb Storage (12 months)

More
30 Apr 2008 09:06 #210302 by inline79
Fuel Tank & Carb Storage (12 months) was created by inline79
I'm putting the KZ away for about a year and riding the new bike.

I drained the gas to install the new KZ1000P petcock and I read in the KZ650C2 owner's manual that for storage it is recommended to drain the gas, pour 1/2 pint engine oil into the tank, and roll the tank around several times to coat the inside.

Does anybody do this for storage?

I also drained the carbs, which is fine to do. I've seen carbs that have been dry for 5-7 years and they are spotless!

Gas is expensive, I'd rather feed the gas I drained into the Versys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2008 15:50 #210349 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Fuel Tank & Carb Storage (12 months)
Coating the inside with oil won't hurt it, as long as it completely flushed out later before use. It should prevent rust.

The other guys in cold climates would know better, but I think you can also add "Stabil" fuel stabilizer in the gas and just leave it in the tank and carbs.

I have heard storing carbs dry lets the bowl gasket and O rings dry out and harden. They are designed to work wet, as long as the gas doesn't oxidize to varnish it should be OK in the system.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 Apr 2008 16:22 #210352 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fuel Tank & Carb Storage (12 months)
My stuff sits indefinately. I'm probably the worst about this cause I'm just too plain lazy to get most of them out to ride more than once every couple years. Also here in Denver being cold in the Winter is one thing, but we are dry so that helps. Always drain the carbs for sure. Putting Stabil in the tank and carbs will not last a year despite their claims, you'll have to clean the carbs. I'm sure opinions vary on this, but my experience anyway. I always drain the gas from the carbs and the tank before storage and store them dry, covered in an unheated garage. Those zip-up bag storage covers with drypac work great to keep the motorcycle clean and dry, but are kind of a pain to use hence my lazyness at never getting the mood to take them out of the cover for several years. You might have of read of my 10yr storage of a KZ650 last summer that I finally rode and it was perfect with no leaks or issues of any kind.
Quite often though, when gas is first introduced into carbs that have been sitting idle, one or more float may be sticky causing overflow of gas onto the floor. When this happens I just ignore it, start the engine and immediately the problem will resolve itself.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
01 May 2008 13:29 #210490 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Fuel Tank & Carb Storage (12 months)
Do yourself a favor and remove the carburetors. Remove the bowls and blow compressed air into the gas inlets and air jets... dry them out good and put them on a shelf. Put some tape over the carb holders so mice don't invade. I don't know much about storing tanks but if it were mine, I would fill it with gas. The oil? May not stay on the sides of the tank after a year and bare metal inside the tank will flash rust almost immediately. I would toss the gas when I was going to put the bike back into service unless it is over $13 a gallon and then I would use it in the lawn mower.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!