kz 750 twin carb or timing

More
29 Apr 2008 23:17 #210220 by bigheadkz
kz 750 twin carb or timing was created by bigheadkz
Well question bike runs great i guess but at idle it seems to be shooting flames kinda backfiring but not really. well that made no sense i know. is it to rich how do i adjust that. but it starts runs fine bur just seems like it coul be a little more peppy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2008 06:59 #210270 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic kz 750 twin carb or timing
shooting flames? kinda backfiring but not really? Sounds like incomplete combustion. You are right, this thread makes little sense to me...

What is the bike doing that caused you to post? Does it backfire? When does it backfire? Where are these little flames coming from? I wouldn't ride a bike where I could see little flames till I figured out the issue and stopped the flames as there seems to to be a safety issue here.

Bike runs fine but you think it is rich. Why do you think it is rich? Please try to rephrase the whole thing as I am missing the point here. Thanks.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
30 Apr 2008 08:19 - 30 Apr 2008 13:49 #210291 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz 750 twin carb or timing
No shortcuts.

First thing you do is get a manual.
Second thing you do is a complete tune up:
(A) clean/adjust points (assuming it's a 76-80 750 twin, 82-83 have electronic ignition).
(b) check/adjust ignition timing.
(C) check/adjust valve clearances.
(D)Replace spark plugs.
(E) check resistance on plug caps, coils, spark plug wires.
(F) check/replace air filter.
(G) check voltage at battery while bike is running at 3k rpm.
(H) check voltage at coils, ignition on, bike not running.

Do all the above and if it still has problems, then we'll talk about the carbs :)

Do it right the first time, or do it over and over and over while running in circles pulling your hair out, the choice is yours :)

My 79 70 twin starts on two kicks stone cold, half a kick warm, runs perfect, and I assembled it from a bunch of parts from different years/models of Kawasaki's.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 30 Apr 2008 13:49 by steell.

More
30 Apr 2008 10:40 #210311 by bigheadkz
Replied by bigheadkz on topic kz 750 twin carb or timing
1979 twin

when at idle it has a flames. nothing outrageous but talking to some friends at work they said it maybe rich. i have pod filters and a open exhaust . the backfiring is just a thought really i beleive its like a map gas torch sound when you light it . its the flames i believe . it runs good though. my inline four when i ran pods and a 4 intoone header i had to adjust carbs would not idle right .this one idles fine doesn't back fire when you give it gas and its an open exhaust. i will take pics tonight when i get off work and post so you can see exactly what i am talking about.

More
30 Apr 2008 22:58 #210405 by bigheadkz
Replied by bigheadkz on topic kz 750 twin carb or timing
ok it has a little cutt back noticed today like a hesitation. think its timing

More
01 May 2008 13:21 #210488 by wiredgeorge
Read what Elliot wrote... I would personally adjust the valves FIRST (and adjust cam chain tension if possible) in the order as a hanging valve will allow the flames for sure but ALL those things need to be done before mucking with the carburetors. Your friend at work telling you the bike is rich? I would stop asking that particular friend for advice bwhahahaha Tune 'er up fella!

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
01 May 2008 18:03 #210529 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic kz 750 twin carb or timing
steell wrote:

No shortcuts.

Do it right the first time, or do it over and over and over while running in circles pulling your hair out, the choice is yours :)

My 79 70 twin starts on two kicks stone cold, half a kick warm, runs perfect, and I assembled it from a bunch of parts from different years/models of Kawasaki's.

I ended up doing the circles and pulling hair method... but now my twins start with one kick too...
But I agree with George, in that I agree with steell...
;)

Oh, and just replace the coil... you won't regret it... and while you're in the manual, set the float height... whoops we're not on carbs yet... ;)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
02 May 2008 06:25 #210640 by wiredgeorge
BT... you are correct, float heights need to be adjusted as part of the initial tune up stuff on a bike but I recommend doing the carbs LAST... not so much because of the float height which can be done up front in the sequence of things but other carb related stuff, like idle mixture and sync and idle speed adjust should be done after ALL the other stuff is done. If you have poor compression in one of the cylinders because the valves are tight, if you set the idle mixture and sync BEFORE taking care of this issue (or the timing is way off), then you will only have to go back and redo your work.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!