Keihin carb Q.

More
28 Apr 2008 21:33 #209947 by Makarth
Keihin carb Q. was created by Makarth
Hey guys long time no post. Straight to the point though, i have a set of what looks like VB Carbs off a 1982 CB900 custom that i got for free from a friends backyard (im still kicking myself for not getting the starter before scrapping it) So yea i tore the carbs apart cleaned them, broke any seizing, and polished all the goodies and made sure to keep things tight and smooth. Now for the question, has anyone fit these kinda carbs to a 1977 kz1000 or similar? what do i need to make sure works before planting them on the bike? Im very new to vacuum or air pressure operated carbs so yea any help would be lovely. I can pull up the serial number on them and on a side note i found that on a website they say they are 32mm for cb900c's but it looks bigger (34mm) but then again i've never been good at reading vernier calipers.
Also as a beginning note on the project for fitting them i was thinking about using urethane for a custom manifold but any one think it couldn't handle the engine heat?

P.S. the only info i could find close to this were KZ440 LTD's with what seems like similar carbs. I also have pics to be posted later

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2008 03:01 #209972 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Keihin carb Q.
The spacing between carbs is different.Mikunis are easier to tune and get parts for.

More
29 Apr 2008 11:36 #210060 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Keihin carb Q.
Actually, parts avialability for the VB series carbs isn't bad. They won't fit the KZ, like noted, but you can find parts. Honda is pretty good about keeping OEM parts available plus there are carb kits. If you had put the actual VBxxx number in the post, I could have told you what they were from probably.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Apr 2008 15:18 #210104 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Keihin carb Q.
so even with making a custom manifold it's a no go? cause i knew the spacing was wrong i was thinking about making new manifolds out of urethane or something to fit the engine. Im guessing the serial is VB43A since it's etched on the side of the carbs.

More
30 Apr 2008 07:19 #210275 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Keihin carb Q.
Those carbs are from a 1980 CB900C Custom. Hey, if you can fabricate a manifold, give it a shot. Sounds interesting... just let us know how things work out!

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 May 2008 10:06 #211082 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Keihin carb Q.
will do... i'm gonna start up AutoCAD sometime this after noon. I have to deal with being 1800 miles away from the bike though since now i'm in hesperia living out my last couple months of being single.