BS34 - 2 questions

More
27 Apr 2008 19:44 #209653 by Mike W.
BS34 - 2 questions was created by Mike W.
I just cleaned our a 4-stack of BS34's for one of my KZ1000Ps. There's a small, double-walled pipe that descends down from the carb body through the float-bowl gasket that fits into a gallery in the float bowl made just for it.

Can someone tell me what that pipe goes to? I tried to remove it but gently twisting it with some pliers.. no joy. I cleaned it but the most I got was carb cleaner blowing out the little side vents in it... it didn't exit anyplace else. A tag wire bottoms out.

Is there a tuning/rebuilding manual for the VS34 online anywhere? I was suprised Mikuni didn't provide any support materials that I could find. Thanks.

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2008 19:45 #209655 by Mike W.
Replied by Mike W. on topic BS34 - 2 questions
Mike W. wrote:

Is there a tuning/rebuilding manual for the VS34 online

Sorry... that was intended to say BS34.

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

More
28 Apr 2008 07:06 #209734 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic BS34 - 2 questions
The brass tube you describe is the gas pickup for the enricher circuit on that carburetor. I would stop trying to remove it as it will break.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Apr 2008 09:46 #209785 by Mike W.
wiredgeorge wrote:

The brass tube you describe is the gas pickup for the enricher circuit on that carburetor. I would stop trying to remove it as it will break.

Hi and thank you very much. I just finished cleaning the whole stack and this is the only part where I feel uneasy as to whether it was done properly. After disassembly, but not separation, I had pushed some carb cleaner through the pilot circuit and replaced the pilot jet.. everything seemed to flow well. I pushed some down that brass pipe and all I saw was cleaner exiting the tiny vents on the side of the tube... nothing coming out anyplace else. Now, I didn't turn the enrichener on and wish I thought it could have been connected to that. The rest of the bike isn't buttoned up yet... should I save myself the time and take the carbs back off and clean that tube out with the cenrichener switched to ON? Gotta admit... I *hate* messing with those damn boots on the airbox:)

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

More
29 Apr 2008 12:17 #210071 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic BS34 - 2 questions
If the hole on the tip of the pick up tube is clogged, the tube won't pick up gas. If the hole in the well where the choke plungers seat is clogged, gas won't enter the enrichener circuit and if the enrichener jet on the inside of the venturi is clogged, no gas will be drawn by the circuit and if the check valve in the bowl is clogged, no gas will be available for the tube to pick up.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 May 2008 22:42 #210823 by Mike W.
wiredgeorge wrote:

If the hole on the tip of the pick up tube is clogged, the tube won't pick up gas. If the hole in the well where the choke plungers seat is clogged, gas won't enter the enrichener circuit and if the enrichener jet on the inside of the venturi is clogged, no gas will be drawn by the circuit and if the check valve in the bowl is clogged, no gas will be available for the tube to pick up.

Can you tell me, or point me to a source, that describes where the path leads after that pickup tube? Where should carb cleaner pour forth once shot down the tube? I assume this will only occur with the enrichener on.. no? Thanks,

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3