Carbs Rebuild 0r Replace

More
27 Apr 2008 15:20 #209575 by j_bizach
Carbs Rebuild 0r Replace was created by j_bizach
So the carbs on my 81 kz550 ltd need work they leak and i havnt been able to get my bike to work. Now I'm not very experienced when it come to carbs. Ive seen carbs for my bike for sale rebuilt and tuned and ready to go. How much would it be to rebuild them and would I have to retune the carbs once theyve been rebuilt. Where would I go to find a rebuilt set of carbs Ive done a little searching with not much luck I figured one of you would know where to find them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2008 17:14 - 27 Apr 2008 17:15 #209603 by snorules
Replied by snorules on topic Carbs Rebuild 0r Replace
I used to be scared to death of carbs, but I had no choice due to $ but to rebuild mine myself. My best advice is to get an empty egg catron to keep all of the parts separated by carb number. You dont want to mix up parts between carbs. They are actually pretty simple to work on once you get them off of the bike. take digital pics or do some drawings if you have to so you can remember how everything goes back together. Just take your time and be sure to blow out every air and fuel passage really well with carb cleaner after full disassembly. I forgot to take out my air screws the first time i did my carbs :( had to pull them out and do them all over. Also, check out some of the archive articles on bench syncing and setting the float levels, they helped me out tremendously.Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!!

P.S. my bike is a 1980 550 LTD

1980 KZ550C (daily rider)
1981 KZ1000J (bagger project in progress)
1981 GS1100 (future dragbike)
1978 Z1R (not mine yet, but trying to work out a deal to acquire it).
Last edit: 27 Apr 2008 17:15 by snorules. Reason: misspelling

More
27 Apr 2008 18:22 #209618 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Carbs Rebuild 0r Replace
The carb. rebuild kit for your bike is a little under $24 for each carb from Z1.

Link:
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=476

I used two of their kits today on my bike and they were complet and appear to be of good quality. Most important bike started first kick. :woohoo:

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
29 Apr 2008 17:56 #210146 by j_bizach
Replied by j_bizach on topic Carbs Rebuild 0r Replace
Tore the carbs apart and did them today really not to bad. A lot more intimidating than it actually is.

More
29 Apr 2008 18:56 #210158 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Carbs Rebuild 0r Replace
Those kits are a heck of a deal if they work, and if Z1 sells them I'm sure they do. Just a single piece of the kit will set you back the entire price through Kawasaki.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Apr 2008 22:58 #210212 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Carbs Rebuild 0r Replace
Rebuild them !!!

But do your homework first.

Have ample time.

Have the space, light, heat tunes and booze.

Shop rags shop rags shop rags.

Egg cartons, hell yea.

Compressed air, (or take the dis-assembled shells in to have them cleaned out by a shop).

Read the threads, and ask questions.

Prepare to be pissed of adjusting the floats...

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you