prime position

More
25 Apr 2008 12:47 #209056 by vach
prime position was created by vach
do you guy's put the petcock into the prime position every time you start your bikes? only on cold starts or all the time?

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2008 12:50 #209057 by cafekz750
Replied by cafekz750 on topic prime position
I never use Prime for anything except filling the carb bowls after pulling/working on the carbs.

1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

More
25 Apr 2008 13:06 #209062 by vach
Replied by vach on topic prime position
the thing is is my bike is very hard to start. for whatever reason today i decided to put the petcock in the prime position w/ no choke. the bike popped but didn't start. I put the choke on and it started. i'm thinking i still have clogged pilot circuit. I will sea foam it and see if i can start the bike with the prime position. When i moved the petcock to the prime position i saw the gas move quite a bit. now i'm wondering if my carbs are actually draining into the motor. making it out of gas when i normally start it. I see no evidence of gas in the oil though.:(

More
25 Apr 2008 13:37 #209066 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic prime position
like cafekz750 said, the only reason to use the prime position is to get gas into the carbs until the vacume valve, in the petcock, actuates, w/the engine running. Once you start the bike, move it back to the ON position. Under most circumstances there should be enough gas in the carbs to just leave it in the ON position. Unless the engine is warm, you really need to engage the enrichener circuit the "choke", it's pretty much the way the bikes were designed. If you don't see gas flowing in the ON position, but you do in the PRI position, you may have a problem w/the petcock.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
25 Apr 2008 14:06 #209071 by vach
thanks guys.. Ron, in the prime position i see the gas move when the bike is not running. i'm sure i have a pilot circuit problem.

More
25 Apr 2008 18:40 #209128 by stallau
Replied by stallau on topic prime position
Other than the obvious smell of gas how can you tell if the gas is getting into the oil. What needs to be done to stop that as well?

Just wondering:unsure:

More
25 Apr 2008 19:25 #209135 by vach
is the oil level going up? is the oil not lasting as long as it should? usually the petcock is at fault when there is gas in the oil.

More
27 Apr 2008 19:18 #209643 by stallau
Replied by stallau on topic prime position
Which is better to do replace or repair it? Just starting to work on bikes so not sure on troubleshooting (I can do good things on computers and printers though).

The oil level has gone up. I just changed it and it is now at the top of the viewing window. Would the extra oil level also explain why the plugs on the left side have oil on them since the bike leans that way when parked? The other two plugs look good.

More
27 Apr 2008 19:39 #209651 by vach
i would replace it.. i bought one last year from z1enterprises.com a vacuum replacement from a suzuki. it fits fine. about $50.00 total.

More
28 Apr 2008 05:00 #209705 by snorules
Replied by snorules on topic prime position
A cheap quick fix (I did this and it worked for me) is to go to your local small engine shop and get a generic on/off lawnmower petcock for about $5. Install it between your existing petcock and the carbs, that way when you are parked, you know for sure that no fuel is leaking past into your engine.

1980 KZ550C (daily rider)
1981 KZ1000J (bagger project in progress)
1981 GS1100 (future dragbike)
1978 Z1R (not mine yet, but trying to work out a deal to acquire it).

More
28 Apr 2008 06:02 #209720 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic prime position
I only ride my bike once or twice a week, and always put the fuel petcock to Prime for a few minutes before I start her up. Seems she needs to have the carbs filled, as the gas has evaporated somewhat while sitting.
I've never had any gas leak or flow into the engine.

The oil level has gone up. I just changed it and it is now at the top of the viewing window.

Once you run the bike and let the oil settle, it could look a little higher than when you've just added it.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s