Carb jetting

More
24 Apr 2008 18:45 #208846 by Burky
Carb jetting was created by Burky
Need some advice,
I bought a 1979 KZ 100 Ltd. 6 months ago. It has I was told by previous owner 29mm smoothbore's with the k&n pod filters. It also has a 4 into 1 exhaust. I want to put the original 4 into 2 system back on it. Do I need to change the jetting? Is it a possibility it would run ok by just putting the 4 into 2 back on it.If it does need different jetting where do I find information on what the appropriate jetts are? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Burky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2008 20:15 #208876 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Carb jetting
Wouldnt there be stock jet sizes in the Clymer manual?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
25 Apr 2008 05:43 #208933 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Carb jetting
VM29 smoothbores are aftermarket carbs and won't be in a Clymers. I rejet about 20 sets a year. With pods and 4 into 1 or 4 into 2, should not make a lot of difference. First check to ensure that you have 1.5 slide cuts outs. They sold 3 different models of the VM29 and the 1.5 slide cut out was what was intended for the large displacement (903/1015) KZ/Z1. This small slide cut out has relatively fast air speed at idle so you can use smaller pilot jets. I use either #17.5 or #20 pilot jet. With the #17.5 you only need to turn out the air screws about 1/8 turn out from lightly seated and with the #20s about a half turn out. Both pilot jet / air screw set ups will give you a smooth, clean idle. The jet needle/needle jet combo is on the rich side, so with your set up (stock engine), I would clip to third slot (5DL31-3) and use around #120 main jets. The Mikuni recommended settings you will find posted on the internet don't work well and they don't even say whether the settings are for modified bikes, bikes with modified airboxes or pipes, etc.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Apr 2008 10:14 #209236 by Burky
Replied by Burky on topic Carb jetting
wiredgeorge,
Thank you for the helpful information. I printed it and I'll go from here. I don't know if I will be able to do this myself if it needs done but I'd like to try. Do you know of any good books or references to get to help me? I will surely come to your company if I need carb work done.
Thanks alot,
Burky