Help please on jetting

More
23 Apr 2008 22:27 #208643 by fordtruck
Help please on jetting was created by fordtruck
I've been fixing up a 77KZ1000 that I bought a few months ago, and I'm having some running issues. I recently rebuilt the carbs and installed 107.5 mains and 17.5 pilots. My Clymer manual lists this as the stock jetting for a 77 KZ1000A. The carbs previously had 107.5 mains and 15 pilots. The bike runs great on the highway, but after idleing at a stoplight it will cough and try to die when I take off. After I get going, it runs great. Should I put 15 pilots back in it?

I set the idle mixture screws at 1 1/4 turn out and tuned from there. I really can't tell much difference in rpm when adjusting the screws. I also synced the carbs with mercury sticks after rebuilding them.

The bike has the stock airbox with K&N filter, Vance and Hines 4-into-1 pipe with baffle. It has a Dyna S ignition with Dyna coils and wires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2008 09:47 - 24 Apr 2008 09:59 #208725 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Help please on jetting
Ride around low speed city driving for a while with light throttle opening and pull the plugs. The color will tell you if the pilots are too rich or lean. Black is too rich, tan good, white lean.

I set the idle mixture screws at 1 1/4 turn out and tuned from there. I really can't tell much difference in rpm when adjusting the screws.

That's never a good sign.....

The bike runs great on the highway, but after idleing at a stoplight it will cough and try to die when I take off.

Mine never did that when the pilot jets were too rich. That sounds more like something that happens when the fuel level in the bowls is too low. I would check it with a clear tube.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 24 Apr 2008 09:59 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.